Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump

Go Back   lifestyleblock discussion forums > Discussion groups > Your Place

View Poll Results: Would you purchase a home kit urine pregnancy test for cows?
Yes, but only if costs under $40 6 50.00%
Yes, but only if could detect pregnancy within the first 2 months 6 50.00%
Yes, if could detect pregnancy from 3 months onwards 1 8.33%
No, I would not be interested 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd May 2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Urine pregnancy test for cows

Having recently made some enquiries about a urine pregnancy test for cows, I wondered how many people would be interested in such a product should one become available? I suspect it would depend on stage of pregnancy that it could be used from, and cost, but in general, would it be useful?

OK, I'm going to try & set up a survey to cover some of these aspects... bear with me, this is my first try...

Oh, I should add, please only vote if you actually have a cow(s) that you breed (I realise it would be completely unhelpful for anyone else! )

Last edited by Jo-Otago; 23rd May 2008 at 03:06 PM..
Jo-Otago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
GBpeter
lsb member

Re: Urine pregnancy test for cows

It would depend on how it works ie stuck to the tail or? Can't see myself waiting around with a bucket
GBpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Oh, I hadn't thought about that! Um, I think you'd probably need to collect some urine, but it's pretty easy, I collected 3 cows' samples over the weekend You can just soak it up from the ground with a paper towel. Or possibly they could look at making an attachment for it... hmm, now just to figure out if I can alter the poll to include that option... errr

Bugger I don't think I can. Might just have to post for any other options that I didn't think of, sorry!

Last edited by Jo-Otago; 23rd May 2008 at 03:22 PM..
Jo-Otago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Would its sale be dependent on having previously vaccinated your cow/s for Lepto? Playing with cow urine in unvaccinated cows is problematic. Then if you're vaccinating for Lepto, you've probably got a vet visiting, so therefore may as well get a pd done by the vet.

I can see it could potentially be useful for the one or two-cow herd. For larger numbers, the cost per cow of a vet check would be vastly cheaper.

Would it distinguish between pregnancy and an anovulatory condition which may have stopped cycling and might therefore be causing hormone abnormality? Just a thought.
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

I'd assume that lepto vaccs would be the responsibility of the owner as they are the ones messing around with their cows' urine. (Don't need a vet for lepto vaccs?!)
It would be based on hormone levels, so no, it wouldn't distinguish between any other causes of changed hormone levels.
Yep, I was thinking the market would really be for those with small numbers of animals, or living some distance from the nearest vet. (Given that I was just quoted over $100 for a vet to pregnancy test one cow, it would certainly be a vastly cheaper option for those of us with just a few animals!).
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Isla
Advanced mumbler

My wording was slightly tongue-in-cheek - you'd obviously have no control over the Lepto issue, but it would possibly be irresponsible not to raise that awareness if selling such a product.

Any vet visit for us hits the $120 mark as a minimum too, so for instance, if there were a way of urine-checking the one heifer I'm a bit suspicious about and don't want to get the vet to individually, I guess even I could be in the market on the odd occasion.
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:45 PM   #7
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

Possibly. I can't remember exactly what it cost to get the vet up here to preg test ten cows (and he did another job on the same visit) but on a per cow basis it was very reasonable and I'd probably continue to do it that way for that number of cows. But for the one cow he was unsure about as she's either going to have a very late calf or no calf at all, a urine test, if reliable, would be a useful option. Otherwise I'm in the $100 for one cow territory mentioned above, for a second vet visit a few weeks further on.
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Midge
lsb member

To get a cow to pee on que just rub gently beneath her lilly. Accidently discovered this whilst rubbing some crap off a cow using a brush Works on my cows and have had successful reports back from other cow owners in the States wanting to take samples for this very reason.

I would have jumped at the chance of buying something like this in the early days of breeding Jo, but with some experience under the belt, it's easy enough to keep an eye on behaviour at the appropriate times.
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Probably would be a good opportunity to raise awareness on lepto if such a product was on the market Isla
Lol Midge, I'll have to try that one
With many cows it's easy to tell if they're pregnant, I've had no trouble with 3 of mine, but the fourth never visibly cycled all season (and no positive via kamar either) so I needed confirmation. Also for those with only one cow or without the time to observe, I thought it would probably be useful?
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
To get a cow to pee on que just rub gently beneath her lilly. Accidently discovered this whilst rubbing some crap off a cow using a brush Works on my cows and have had successful reports back from other cow owners in the States wanting to take samples for this very reason.
Ah, yeah, you're starting to sound pretty dodgy there, Midge. Underneath her "lilly", by which I presume you mean her labia, is the clitoris. Mind you, there are some schools of thought in insemination circles which advocate a bit of clitoral stimulation after insemination is completed, for better conception rates.

Now we'll probably lose this thread, for delving too deeply into such subjects.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:01 PM   #11
cowvet
lsb member

Isla - if you AI then what is wrong with moving forwards to preg test (literally!)

I love animals...they're delicious
cowvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowvet View Post
Isla - if you AI then what is wrong with moving forwards to preg test (literally!)
Reliability. I need twin training! Fancy a holiday?
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Ronney
lsb member

I could have done with something like this over the last 6 months or so when a cow that should have been a good 4 months pregnant started cycling to be followed by another. I've had what might have been bull problems which has resulted in dry cows and drawn out conceptions so that my calvings are now all over the place. Long story and not worth going into but getting the vet out to pregnancy test hasn't been a cheap option.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 08:36 AM   #14
organicltd
lsb member

What wrong with using the human pregnancy testers. All they do is measure the amount of hormone in the urine, don't they? All mammals produce the same things during pregnancy and at the same stages. You get them from the chemist. Be cheaper and probably just as reliable as getting your vet to do it.

Last edited by organicltd; 24th May 2008 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: typo
organicltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Similar is not the same as same.
Old 24th May 2008, 09:54 AM   #16
cowvet
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicltd View Post
What wrong with using the human pregnancy testers. All they do is measure the amount of hormone in the urine, don't they? All mammals produce the same things during pregnancy and at the same stages. You get them from the chemist. Be cheaper and probably just as reliable as getting your vet to do it.
So how is a test to detect HCG (human chorionic gonaditropin) going to work on a cow. many women could take offence with you insinuating that women are like cows.

Old 24th May 2008, 09:56 AM   #17
cowvet
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla View Post
Reliability. I need twin training! Fancy a holiday?
actually thinking of a holiday up your end of the country next March...will keep you posted - just remind me nearer the time to pack my gloves (have never taken my long gloves on holiday before)

Old 24th May 2008, 10:13 AM   #18
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Quote:
actually thinking of a holiday up your end of the country next March...will keep you posted - just remind me nearer the time to pack my gloves (have never taken my long gloves on holiday before)
Do you think this is a BYOG establishment?

Along with fine dining and splendid accommodation, should those options be selected, free gloves are always provided to our guests.
Old 24th May 2008, 01:25 PM   #19
organicltd
lsb member

Quote:
So how is a test to detect HCG (human chorionic gonaditropin) going to work on a cow. many women could take offence with you insinuating that women are like cows.
How do you know that it will not? I couln't possibly comment about the comparison you refer to.
Old 24th May 2008, 09:57 PM   #20
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

And after that I had better stay outta the discussion altogether.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote