Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 25th February 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
moggy
lsb member

Black boy peaches?

I had never come accross this sort till recently. I had two trees that I was wondering if they were almonds as the fruit was small green and hard. Today looking at the tree again, the fruit is starting to ripen with a reddish tinge, though still hard, so I picked one and cut it in half. The stone definitely does not look like an almond, in side the fruit is white at the middle and plum coloured at the edge (still unripte obviously). Now I thought as our apricot tree fruited two months ago or more that this is exceptionally late for a peach, especially as we have had a hot summer
Is it a blackboy peach?
Is this the normal ripening time for them?
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 04:24 AM   #2
lady yank
advanced member

Re: Black boy peaches?

I have never heard of a black boy peach. When I looked it up, I found a photo.

http://www.koanga.co.nz/pages/2007Pe...eacherines.htm

If this is what you are growing, it sounds delicious. Good luck.
Old 26th February 2008, 05:40 AM   #3
Midge
lsb member

Yep, sounds like a Blackboy to me Moggy. Despite being buggers to bottle, they are the most beautiful peach when preserved. They have a furry skin and are not freestone.

Lucky you for having a Blackboy Tree in your garden!!

And no, I haven't peed the bed. I'm just up early in anticipation of another good sunrise
Old 26th February 2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Toni - Northland
Banned

Gosh, Black Boy Peaches, that brings back the memories. The old lady next door to us when I was a kid had a tree and she would peel them and hand me the slivers through the fence. Yum, I wish I had a tree here. I am picking the older areas of Auckland would have had a lot of trees back then, most have probably been pulled out now, in the name of progress and new office blocks.
Toni - Northland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 07:13 AM   #5
moggy
lsb member

The picture defininitely looks like what we have on one tree, It is still youngish, I think, but over 2m tall and has a good crop on it. Now feeling sheepish, the other "almond" tree is a real youngster, put in by the last owner and erm, still has a label on it, just saw it when I went out to turn the water on for the young orchard.

So anyone know when they are likely to ripen?
Old 26th February 2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Louimay
lsb member

I have a baby Black Boy peach tree growing in my back yard. A friend gave it to us last year, the poor thing had dry roots etc and looked like it might die but it has recovered nicely and is growing well now.

It is a shame I can't stand peaches..LOL.
Louimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 07:18 AM   #7
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Oh you lucky thing! Yum!
Old 26th February 2008, 07:26 AM   #8
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

we planted one 18 months ago (think we got it from Sarah at Edible Gardens in PN). We also planted the equivalent nectarine - Black Pearl. Only one of our peaches had fruit (too young, and hit by frost) but we're looking forward to fruit next year.
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 07:46 AM   #9
moggy
lsb member

OK so next question, the big tree is planted about 1m from the house, what is the best way to keep it under control but still giving fruit? It is a bit too big for me to want to move it.
Old 26th February 2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Murray
lsb member

Take to it with the chainsaw. If it's anything like the blackboys that my father and I have you can give it heaps and it still grows. They grow very well from the stones, and every year my father gets several seedlings coming up in his garden that I take and plant around the place in my shelter belts.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Kiwi303
LSB's Token Mad Gunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louimay View Post
I have a baby Black Boy peach tree growing in my back yard.

It is a shame I can't stand peaches..LOL.
Hmm... We'll take it if you don't want it

We're in the middle of setting up an orchard now... Blueberries, a strawberry garden, feijoas along one fence as a hedge... apples, plums. No peaches yet...
Old 26th February 2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Valmai
A Tad Confuzzelled

moggy black boy peaches should be pruned to a vase shape with three leaders and you can keep them shorter than your guttering. It may not give you a lot of fruit in future years as they need winter chilling/frost for good fruit set.
Old 26th February 2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Ooh, I luuurve blackboy peaches, my favourite! I like to eat them as is, sod the bottling! We have 2 young trees about 5 years old and they produced quite a few last year, but just wee ones. Ours are red in the flesh too though, I haven't seen white-fleshed ones, but maybe just a different variety? Ours are not ripe yet, I can't remember when they were ripe last year, but they look a few weeks off at least yet. Oops I haven't pruned them and they are rather tall... eeerg, perhaps this winter I might have a wee attempt... I'm a bit of a tentative pruner...
Old 26th February 2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Hintzashouse
Otaaaago
Friend of LSB

Moggy, it says on here about espaliering trees, which you can do if they are close to a wall,
http://www.ediblegarden.co.nz/hints-espalier.html
and mentions doing it with with stone fruit trees.
Hintzashouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 09:04 AM   #15
Simkin
Chookaholic

Hi Moggy,
.... don't prune it too hard. I know where you are - I wouldn't expect it to go rampant.

We have a selection of Black Boy peaches, all grown from seed. Takes 3 years to the first fruit and in my experience the trees don't grow huge. Just a bit of topping (meaning cutting out the central leader to achieve that vase shape) is all they need.

Ours ripen during March, sometimes towards the end of March. The true Black Boy Peach is red through and through but most are lighter coloured near the stone. Does not alter the taste and when preserved the colour 'spreads' to the lighter parts during cooking.

I'd keep the stones and plant them in more convenient locations and see what happens. It might just be the crop that suits your site and if you can grow nice big ones they are a very saleable crop.

We have 4 almond trees, 4 different varieties, ripening at diffenent times. The earliest ripens now and it continues for a couple of months. You notice that they are ripe when the skin splits and the stone falls out.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmai View Post
moggy black boy peaches should be pruned to a vase shape with three leaders and you can keep them shorter than your guttering. It may not give you a lot of fruit in future years as they need winter chilling/frost for good fruit set.

Oh no! That means we can't grow them up North then, does it? We don't get many frosts in Russell. Mum used to bottle Black Boy peaches years ago - when you could still buy them. They were nice.
Inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Simkin
Chookaholic

Hi Inger,

I would try anyway. What's the worst case scenario? That they don't grow. If you like
Old 28th February 2008, 04:14 PM   #18
Simkin
Chookaholic

Oh, something happened here. If you like I can send you a few stones in a month or so. I have your address from the rare breeds web site.

Just put them in the soil as soon as they arrive and some time next spring you should get small trees.
Old 28th February 2008, 04:20 PM   #19
moggy
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
Hi Moggy,
.... don't prune it too hard. I know where you are - I wouldn't expect it to go rampant.
OK won't do, thinking about taking it down about a foot, it is sort of varse shaped already. It is on irrigation so, hopefully will do well
Quote:

Ours ripen during March, sometimes towards the end of March. The true Black Boy Peach is red through and through but most are lighter coloured near the stone. Does not alter the taste and when preserved the colour 'spreads' to the lighter parts during cooking.
well I have been picking one of the small trees today, gorgeous to eat, though small fruit. The bigger tree is also ready for picking, so I guess that shows the climate difference in 10km
Old 28th February 2008, 06:09 PM   #20
Valmai
A Tad Confuzzelled

Inger I would have sworn that moggy would not get any fruit from her trees, so what do I know?? Buy one and give it a try, if it doesnt fruit so what!!
Old 28th February 2008, 07:43 PM   #21
Kiwi303
LSB's Token Mad Gunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger View Post
Mum used to bottle Black Boy peaches years ago - when you could still buy them. They were nice.
There was a load of Black Boy peaches in the Richmond Raeward Fresh greengrocer this arvo... so they are still available in the shops.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:40 PM   #22
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Simkin, could I scrounge a stone or two as well? I can't justify buying a tree here on the odds of it producing, but if I could get one to grow from seed, it would be worth seeing what happens...

Do most plums grow true from seed, or are most of them grafted?
Old 28th February 2008, 08:52 PM   #23
Shaendix
5% poster 95% lurker

We have 8 BBP trees. they are quite hardy and usually fruit heavily except for this year we had a series of late heavy frosts and have virtually no fruit . So they are getting a year off I guess thats got to be good for them.

We lost all of our fruit crop apricot, apple, plum, even the walnuts look like they haven't got anything on them Just a few scummy looking pears.

BBPs don't seem to require a lot of water and late watering once the fruit is ripening doesn't seem a good idea as they don't store so well. They are a late crop for us and you can tell they are ready when they start falling. They are quite disease resistant and don't generally require sprays. Nice stewed and in a pie or made into a jelly with apple or berry fruit, we have had wine made from them which wasn't bad. Ours are dark red on the outside and pale peachy flesh with more dark red around the pip.
Shaendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Simkin
Chookaholic

Hi Tigger,

no problem! But I need your postal address for this. We also have a white fleshed nectarine which grows true from seed. Golden Queen Peaches are another one that is quite likely to grow true from seed. All three are growing at our place and have never been sprayed. The little bit of leaf curl they are getting just drops off and new healthy leafs grow.

The BBP grow very well from seed and almost always true. We have at least 10 of them and only one is inedible. Three years to the first crop (if the tree isn't transplanted after the second year). Fruit size increases with age of the tree (up to a certain age).

None of our peach and nectarine trees have a good crop this season because of the late November frost we had (-6 Degrees) but there should be a few stones to share around.
Old 28th February 2008, 10:13 PM   #25
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

Sure Simkin, I'll give it a go. We got some Northland varieties of fruit trees from Koanga Gardens, even an Apricot. Now we just have to get them planted.

Not sure if Golden Queen peaches will grow up here though? Anyone tried?
Inger is offline   Reply With Quote