Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 6th May 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Rex351
lsb member

Value of Gum Trees

I have about 90 gum trees that are about 15 to 16 metres high and around .8 metre round. They are a mixture of eucalyptus, blue and others. Could anyone give me an indication of the value per tree? Could I expect $100?
Rex351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
muri
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: Value of Gum Trees

When you say the value per tree, do you mean dropped or standing?
If standing, what sort of access have you for heavy equipment eg bulldozers, logging trucks etc
I had 200 pines taken out. There was quite a lot of mess just from the vehicles - 40 logging trucks going in and out, not to mention all the tops of the trees that were left as well
Did you mean $1000 per tree or for the lot
muri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
LongRidge
lsb member

In Nelson and Richmond there is almost absolutely no demand for firewood, because both towns require a clean air woodfire, and no-one wants to be bothered.
If you are in an area where log and wood fires are permitted, then you might possibly persuade someone to pay you for the trees. Otherwise hope that someone will remove them at no cost to you.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
igor
lsb member

There are about 600 different eucalypt species. Even the experts sometimes have difficulty telling some of them apart. Many make excellent timber, some are absolute crap. I would suggest that you do a bit of serious research before making a decision.
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
billmckinstry
advanced member

Can you do what you like with your trees ?
Some properties we looked at, we were told, required an inventroy and inspection of trees before any approved ones could be cut down.

Even firewood requires the tree to fall by nature first - in some cases ??

There may be some employed govt people you will have to pay a fee to before you can cut a tree you own

Nature trimmed a tree near our house yesterday
billmckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
davecla
lsb member

access and location dependant, but if you got someone to remove them, clean up after themselves, not leave you property in a mess and you didn't have to pay them you would be doing well.
davecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Simkin
Chookaholic

Where we are such trees are left to grow as it is too expensive to have them cut down.

This is now.

If you don't have to get rid of them sit it out - timber will surely increase in value. If they are only suitable for firewood it's probably better to get rid of them before they get even bigger.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:02 PM   #8
LongRidge
lsb member

Simkin, a huge problem with most gums is that the timber is brittle and the tree or branches are likely to fall down in a smallish breeze. The other problem is the amount of very flammible gasses that evaporate on a hot day tends to make them a big fire risk.
I would be extremely surprised if you need permission to cut non-natives down. With natives over about 2 meters you need permission if the wood is going to be sold before or after you have processed it.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 04:46 PM   #9
sheep1
lsb member

Smile Re: Value of Gum Trees

Hi, we have a small firewood business we remove trees 50% of the time for free, others we have to charge and it comes down to access etc to get the trees out. however make sure that the rubbish is tidied up into piles to burn. Hope this helps.
sheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote