Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 6th May 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
TandS
lsb member

infertile ducks???

Hi,

One of my pekins started laying for the first time about 6 wks ago, and I gave 22 eggs to someone who had an incubator and was after a few ducklings with the intention of splitting them. A fortnight later, she's candled some and then broken them open and found all are infertile!

I just have the one drake and his 3 sisters (and 2 muscovies - but he's never shown any interest in them) who all hatched early last September. I see him mounting them at least once or twice every morning when we spend a couple of minutes watching them after letting them out. I've seen one of the pekin ducks fussing over and sitting on the nest when I come to let them out, and it's full of white feathers so I'm sure it's not the (grey) muscovies that are laying.

Would it be because it's their first clutch? Or is it more likely that my drake is just firing blanks? Or something else?

Thanks
5 acres, southdownXromneys (3 ewes, a wether & a ewe lamb, 1 hogget for xmas dinner), boerXkikos (2 does and their wether and doe kids), silkies (black pullet, gold hen, white roo), light sussex (hen, pullet, cockerel), muscovies (2 blue/gray hens, a black and white drake, a couple of ducklings with hopefully more on the way soon) and pekin ducks (3 hens, 1 drake, and 5 ducklings under the sussex hen), 60-odd new fruit/nut trees and a few very small fodder trees coming along slowly, 1 little boy, 1 husband, and 3 moggy cats.
TandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
pisa
lsb member

Re: infertile ducks???

hi, not sure about ducks, I know that with my bunnies they do the deed before they have viable sperm. You might find the next batch fine. the only way to find out I suppose is keep hatching them, or introducing a proven drake and see what happens then.

good luck.
1 hubby, 2 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count offspring with even more grandkids, 3 bunny girls, 3 bunny boys, 27 chicken(rooster, pullets, cockerels), 5 ducks and two goats with one whether at foot!
But who's counting

http://petraalsbachstevens.blogspot.com

http://pounuiresortrestaurantcafe.blogspot.com
pisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Simkin
Chookaholic

My spring hatched cockerels aren't fertile yet and I'd say it is the same with ducks. It may be August before he does the deed sucessfully.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
TandS
lsb member

Interesting. He started mounting them toward the end of January so I just assumed he must be well and truly 'mature' enough to do something useful, but maybe he's just a bit young still. Thanks
5 acres, southdownXromneys (3 ewes, a wether & a ewe lamb, 1 hogget for xmas dinner), boerXkikos (2 does and their wether and doe kids), silkies (black pullet, gold hen, white roo), light sussex (hen, pullet, cockerel), muscovies (2 blue/gray hens, a black and white drake, a couple of ducklings with hopefully more on the way soon) and pekin ducks (3 hens, 1 drake, and 5 ducklings under the sussex hen), 60-odd new fruit/nut trees and a few very small fodder trees coming along slowly, 1 little boy, 1 husband, and 3 moggy cats.
TandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:56 PM   #5
igor
lsb member

I have recently observed a three week old boar riding his sisters with every evidence of enjoyment. Perhaps my pigs are like pisa's rabbits.
TandS, maybe the drake is old enough to try it on but not mature enough to be effective.
igor is offline   Reply With Quote