Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 6th May 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
mandy_moo31
advanced member

Unhappy dog attacked pullet - still alive but .....

silly 12 week old pullet decided that flying over the back fence would be a good idea, had the in-laws dog here, miss 2 kept saying the dog is eating the birdie, we ignored....went out after she would'nt stop saying it, found my little pullet held up by the fence, he crop has been torn, and i saw blood, i have sprayed her with iodine and put her in cage with orithon in water. She seems okay but with the injurys heal or am i being cruel to keep her alive...

Last edited by mandy_moo31; 6th May 2012 at 08:29 PM..
mandy_moo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

Re: dog attacked pullet - still alive but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_moo31 View Post
miss 2 kept saying the dog is eating the birdie, we ignored.....
Seriously
Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
mandy_moo31
advanced member

We didn't know she was talking bout a chicken, the cat often leaves dead birds on the grass, all my chickens are penned that's why did not panic about it. This one got out!! I would have acted alot faster, but I thought coming from a 2 yr old she was just telling stories:-(
mandy_moo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:58 AM   #4
foufee
lsb member

bugger - they always seem to pick the wrong way to fly - our hand raised duck took its first flight into our dog run never to return. And I think everyone has been known to not pay attention to 2 year olds for various reasons, I know mine gets a bit of "that's nice dear" with a follow up "hang on what did he say" a bit later.

sorry I can't help with the actual issue hopefully one of the knowledgeable ones will be along soon.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Simkin
Chookaholic

MM - keep her away from your other chooks until she has healed. Chooks are very resilient and as long as the wound isn't deep and she still moves around the way she should (i.e. no tendons damaged) she has a good chance to recover.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_moo31 View Post
We didn't know she was talking bout a chicken, the cat often leaves dead birds on the grass, all my chickens are penned that's why did not panic about it. This one got out!! I would have acted alot faster, but I thought coming from a 2 yr old she was just telling stories:-(
That makes perfect sense, I hope she pulls through. A crop must heal quite easily as one of the cures for crop problems it to cut it open, empty is and stitch it back up Infection will be your main concern depending on the severity of the wounds so apply purple or blue spray to the wounds if you think it's necessary. I agree with Simkin, chooks are resilient.
Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Simkin
Chookaholic

If she is leaking from her crop you could try to use a plaster. Leave on until it falls off.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote