Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 6th May 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
thevarneys
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Is Fish Scraps Ok to feed to pigs?

Have some heads and skins and the skeletons from kids fishing comp in the freezer, and was wanting to feed them to the pigs or chooks. Should I cook them first? I was wondering if the bones would be a hazard for the pigs. Or will they just chomp them down....
Old 6th May 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

Re: Is Fish Scraps Ok to feed to pigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevarneys View Post
Have some heads and skins and the skeletons from kids fishing comp in the freezer, and was wanting to feed them to the pigs or chooks. Should I cook them first? I was wondering if the bones would be a hazard for the pigs. Or will they just chomp them down....
Have a boil up and feed them to the chooks. They will pick them clean and love the treat.
I would be hesitant to give fish bones to pigs, but am no expert on this
Old 6th May 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
The Kats Place
lsb member

I was told not to but can't remember the reasoning behind it. I'd be afeared they might choke on a bone, but I am thinking it was something to do with flavouring the meat. I'd give them to the chooks
Old 6th May 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
LongRidge
lsb member

A friend fed his pigs reject mussels from the mussel factory that he worked at, which they loved. He fed the mussels almost until the day they were butchered. The pork tasted very wrong .... :-)
Some of the many pigs on the Chatham Islands live on the beach, very close to the waste outlet of the fish factory. If you like fish-flavoured pork then that is the place to go, because the locals don't bother.
I suspect that feeding uncooked bones would be quite risky to your pigs, so cook them until they are soft ( the bones, as well as the pigs).
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
tonic
lsb member

am i right in thinking that all meat scraps must be cooked for pigs?
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

yep according to "the powers that be" ... all scraps must be boiled for an hour befor feed to pigs
Old 6th May 2012, 09:23 PM   #7
thevarneys
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Thanks guys. I will boil up for the chooks - it will be a good protein hit for them. I don't feed my pigs meat anyway - we have a dog and cat and lotsa kids so not usually left over meat. But I do boil their vege/fruit scraps to mix with their pellets which they love - nice warm feed to fill their belly on a cold night!
Old 8th May 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Ronney
lsb member

TV, it is quite ok to feed raw fish head, frames and skin to your pigs. DO NOT ever cook them. Cooked fish bones become very hard and can kill your pig. If I pick up pig food that has cooked fish bones in it the whole bucket gets thrown out, no way will I feed any food that might have cooked fish bones in it.

Tonic, you are quite right - but fish is not meat.

TKP, you too are right, it is the flavouring of the meat if fish is fed in large amounts. A pig is what you feed it and if fed fish it will taste like fish and the fat will be soft and oily. All seafood, if fed in large amounts, should be taken out of the diet two months prior to killing. Back in the day when I was still breeding I reserved fish for the sows and boars which crunched it down and looked for more. A very good source of protien.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote