Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 24th April 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Kate
LSB web goddess

I love it!

Although my 'big' birthday isn't for another couple of days, I've just unwrapped part one of my present...Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1335243397729.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	10405
Old 24th April 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Re: I love it!

Spa pool? Cattle trough? Angora goat round bale feeder??

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
terralee
Aged Animal Accumulater
Friend of LSB

I spy with my little eye ....a spa in the bush
Happy Birthday Kate for a couple of days
Cheers
Old 24th April 2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Kate
LSB web goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Spa pool? Cattle trough? Angora goat round bale feeder??
LOL Leonie is right....it's a kiwitub
Old 24th April 2012, 06:27 PM   #5
muri
lsb member
Friend of LSB

It looks just like my soft tub,
Have to say its my best friend every night, especially on these cold nights.
I got it because of my bad back and they are really good for doing all kinds of exercises in, no seats or anything so you can do press ups or whatever.
I somehow didnt switch mine off this summer, its been going at a lower temperature. Miss it if | go a night without
Have to say i am a real wimp and have mine indoors. Pretty sure you wont have space indoors but a gazebo over can keep you warmer
I guess you got it early so you can use it on your birthday?
Champagne in the spa under the stars.
Happy birthday and great present
muri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Yeah, I knew what it was, just having you on. One of those has been on my wish list for AGES. DH and I turn 50 in the same year, and that's when we're hoping to finally get one. (2 years and counting!)

And early Bappy Hirthday to you!

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Kate
LSB web goddess

Thank you....it's now filling and it's taking ages.................................then we have to heat the water so it may be a late night

Muri the kiwitub uses no electricity so it's perfect for us 'off-grid' people. I really miss the spa we used to have when we lived in the Waikato and now that the house is sold we can finally afford to buy the kiwitub We'll be using gas to heat the water tonight but in future we'll be relying on firewood.

I remember that a hot spa before bed means a much better night's sleep

The tub comes with everything, including locks, polar fleece sleeves for the pipes, a thermometer and a rubber duck!

Cheers
Kate
Old 24th April 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
LongRidge
lsb member

Happy firtith birthday :-). I'm firty one (in my mind), so soon you will have caught up with me :-) How do you keep the sandflies out?
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 08:53 PM   #9
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Congratulations Kate! You SO deserve this after having endured the privations of that little hut for so long. Relax and enjoy

It's good that you have gas as a backup in case the wood runs out, is wet or whatever. Always handy to have another option for essential creature comforts like this

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather
GrantK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
muri
lsb member
Friend of LSB

No its the mosquitos if you have it anywhere near the bush
Just got out of mine and yes i realise its not based on electricity and i thought you might use gas.
I think the free duck is very funny.
Incidently, i bought mine second hand, it was duly delivered and set up by the people i bought it off and yes , it takes a long time to fill from the garden hose.
For any of your spa users - where you have a filter......... Last winter i went in and renewed the filter. I saw this ioniser at the spa shop to put into the filter.
I have to say, i have used no chemicals in the spa since using this ioniser and it has retained the correct balance as indicated on the testers.
The year before, when i was using chemicals, i had a lot of trouble always getting everything right. This year, no problems
Kate how do you keep the water clean you dont want to be emptying it each time
Old 24th April 2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Kate
LSB web goddess

Thanks...you keep the sandflies out by keeping yourself underwater

Grant, our builder tells us we should be able to move in at the end of next month and I can't wait. This hut is fine in summer but not a lot of fun in winter...

As for my birthday. I can't believe that I'm about to reach 50. I don't feel any differently than I did ten years ago, or twenty. I guess it's the same for everyone, I'm sure my mother doesn't feel 74 either.

I think we all have an 'instinctive' age that we feel we are - if I was woken from a very deep sleep and someone demanded to know my age I think I'd say 37.

Oh well, at least as my body starts giving out I'll have a tub to relax in.

(tub is at 23C and rising)

Cheers
Kate
Old 24th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Kate
LSB web goddess

muri, mossies love me - I can tell 'cos they bite me in preference to everyone else in a 200m radius. Just to make it more fun I get really nasty reactions to mossie bites. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep them off me.

You can't reuse the water as you can in a spa. You can use it for up to three days they say but we'll have to work it out. We have 50,000l of water storage and are about to add another 25,000l and we are in a high rain area so we should be okay.

Cheers
Kate
Old 24th April 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Why can't you re-use / go on using the same water? Its mostly the chemicals in the water that keep it good in a spa pool.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 10:29 PM   #14
The Kats Place
lsb member

its the english blood its more tastie to the mozzies. What temp are you up to now?
It looks good, I started with a cast iron bath and a gas ring under it while I saved up for my spa.I use it every night unless its hammering down with rain, and yes you do sleep better after a soak
Old 24th April 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Kate
LSB web goddess

Just got out...it was bliss TKP, the temperature was about 42C and the only problem is that the rubber duck just tipped over onto his side

Every muscle is now relaxed...

Anne, it's not designed to be used with chemicals, just clean water which can be reused on the veggie garden or whatever.

Cheers
Kate
Old 25th April 2012, 08:06 AM   #16
muri
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Poor duck!
Dont know how you can take 42 degrees but you are obviously a stickler for enjoyment
My spa is my one real luxury in life.
I am wondering if you can use something like the ioniser in the water just floating there to help keep the water clean so you dont have to empty and fill?
Yes great night sleeps afterwards.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Hawkspur
lsb member
Friend of LSB

It isn't as simple as ionising or treating with chemicals to keep spa water clean. Part of the spa pool cleaner gets rid of fats/oils.
I have seen the big cleaners on public spa pools and they remove a lot of sweated oil from the water. Some things you really don't want to think about when enjoying a spa really.
Hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 05:36 PM   #18
terralee
Aged Animal Accumulater
Friend of LSB

Talking Re: I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Thanks...you keep the sandflies out by keeping yourself underwater

Grant, our builder tells us we should be able to move in at the end of next month and I can't wait. This hut is fine in summer but not a lot of fun in winter...

As for my birthday. I can't believe that I'm about to reach 50. I don't feel any differently than I did ten years ago, or twenty. I guess it's the same for everyone, I'm sure my mother doesn't feel 74 either.

I think we all have an 'instinctive' age that we feel we are - if I was woken from a very deep sleep and someone demanded to know my age I think I'd say 37.

Oh well, at least as my body starts giving out I'll have a tub to relax in.

(tub is at 23C and rising)

Cheers
Kate
Sorry Kate ...it's all down hill once you hit 50after 6years of being in them I have decided to have no more birthdays....cos' I am running out of things to go wrong, break down. give up the ghost and society is also against me now ...the Vets and the Doctors all look like they are wagging school ...along with policemen, soldiers and everyone in authority
woe is me ...just kidding (sort of) .....50 is apparently the new 30
Happy 50th Birthday.....and many many more
Cheers
Old 26th April 2012, 02:00 PM   #19
jeannielea
lsb member

C'mon, there's nothing wrong with being 50 or over. Yes everything starts to ache more and break down more and you need to visit the doctor more often but its time to stop thinking about what you eat and just enjoy what you like and when, time to remember that red wine is good for you, time to let others do stuff you are perfectly able to do but they like to help us oldies, time to smile sweetly and ask for discount in a lot of places, and best of all you're getting closer to 65 when you finally get something back from your taxes AND you get a Gold Card for even more discounts!! (Yes I know the last two might be different when you get up there but you need to aim high) Happy Birthday Kate and enjoy the wine and cake while you are in the spa!! Oh yes,and mozzies only like sweet meat.
jeannielea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Simkin
Chookaholic

A very happy birthday from me down here in Quakechurch, too.

Regarding re-using spa-pool water: We haven't got a spa pool but we used to have a small splasher pool for the kids. With a daily water allocation of 2000l there was no way we could empty it every 3 or so days. So we used it when we didn't need sunscreen - keeps the oily stuff out of the water. And we syphoned off whatever settled at the bottom before every use and topped up with fresh water. We also covered it with a black foil when not in use so no green algae grew.

As only our kids and us used it, hygiene wasn't an issue. It felt so much more refreshing without chemicals, too.

Enjoy it, Kate!
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #21
kai
lsb member

I would love one you can heat by woodfire, I am trying to plan a kiwi bath in our new garden. we had a spa at the last place and brought it with us, but now it sits languishing in the garage unused as I don't like the cost of running it or the chlorine that you need, or cleaning out the filter.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote