Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 16th April 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
FarmerEms
lsb member

Horse Question!!!

Hi guys..! Been a while with no talk How are we all???

Anyway - My question for you all is this....

It's been a long time since my young horsie days, and I am now thinking about getting back into horses...Not necessarily eventing, just a hack and fun 1 or 2 times a week. I went riding with my friend on her mothers huge (when I say huge, I only mean 16.3" or so.. ) horse, and realised I still really enjoy riding, and since we have the land I wouldn't mind utilising it for having a horse to expereince again.

In your mind(s) would it be better to lease to buy or buy first off?

What other things should I consider? before thinking any further into this?

I know this seems like it probably doesn't make much sense, but if you could give me any info it would be greatly appreciated

I would either be looking for a smaller horse (around 14.2) or on the total opposite and getting a clydie cross ( a nice calm one)

Thanks guys!
Ems

Last edited by FarmerEms; 18th April 2012 at 08:34 PM..
FarmerEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: Horse Question!!!

Or you could get a nice calm clydie cross around 14.2-15hh... they do exist .
Hard to say whether it'd be better to buy or lease, it really depends on what is available and what your budget is I guess. Leasing (or lease to buy - but I don't think this is too common?) does mean you'd have a chance to get to know the horse for a good time period before committing, but you may find there are not that many sellers prepared to do this due to the risks. A well thought-out lease agreement for both parties is a must if you go down this route.
If you buy, then it would be worth asking if it were possible for a week or two trial period (covered by a trial/lease agreement as well so both parties are covered), so you get to see the horse in your own environment (bearing in mind of course that a horse can take a bit of time to settle in to a new environment; but if you are just getting back into horses then you probably want one that is fairly quiet & settles reasonably quickly to a new environment).
Also if you are just looking at getting one horse - would it cope on its own with no equine company? (Many do, and some seem happy with bovine company etc. but some definitely don't, so just another thing to bear in mind.)
Just a few random thoughts...
Old 16th April 2012, 12:01 PM   #3
GGZ
lsb member

I have been looking for a pony for my daughter (also keep looking at horses for me, as my mare has now retired) and I can say that leases with the right to buy are very few and far between. I have seen people say that you are welcome to have a trail as long as the horse stays at it's current grazing.
Have any of your neighbours got horses that could be company over the fence for your one? I have found that the costs of having a horse have gone up a lot in the last decade, but I guess everything has. Have you got good riding areas around you or would you have to get a float and possibly a bigger car to tow it? I have seen some people wanting someone to share or ride their horse as they don't have enough time, that could be a good start if you could find one close by.

Here's a list of sites that have horses for sale/lease
http://www.equinetrader.co.nz/classi...onies-for-sale
Trade me
http://nzhorses.co.nz/Listing/ForSale_form.cfm
Sella
Under classifieds in on Lifestyle block
Under horses for sale on thathorse.com which is a NZ site
Horsequest.co.nz - which I find a bit hard to get round
GGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

The other thing you need to consider if you are planning on only riding 1 or 2 times a week is that will be insufficient excercise for most horses. The consequences of that will be you either get a horse which is explosive to ride when you do ride it - and so not very pleasant or it will be very unfit and hard work to keep going - and so not very pleasant.

The horses in the second category (ie when they don't have enough work, get really lazy) are very hard to come by and are usually worth a lot of money.

If you really can't work your horse more than once or twice a week, lease or borrow one for a while until you find out if you can cope with an over active horse or that you'd rather just continue to ride a friend's when the offer is made.

Horses aren't like tennis racquets and motor bikes. They can't be put down for a week and then picked up again. You will get an enormous amount of fun from a horse (or horses) if you commit to riding the horse 5 -6 days a week. Once you and the horse know each other and work well together, you can reduce that, but it is the best way to start. I get sent a number of "problem" horses - the usual cure is increase the work. At the end of 2 weeks of being ridden 6 days with one day off, horsey is generally polite and well mannered and copes with just about anything - but the owner needs to understand that all I did was ride the horse every day.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
kindajojo
lsb member

There are more mature horses around that enjoy the odd hack once or twice a week, if they are retired so happy to go for a walk but not up to anything too intense.

Pity you are not closer I have a 23 year old retire dressage that is happy to sit in the paddock for weeks on end loves company and a walk/trot but not up anything too intense.
kindajojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Otago View Post
Or you could get a nice calm clydie cross ... they do exist .
So I've heard, I have yet to meet one Stubborn, ignorant, willful yes, nice and calm? Not so much
Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:57 PM   #7
FarmerEms
lsb member

My friends horse is a clydie cross. He's gorgeous, and very responsive and calm/quiet... So cute!
Old 16th April 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Minky2
advanced member

I will be getting back into riding too. I have lost all my confidence. I will not consider anything over 14.2 hh (and preferably 13.2 - 14 hh) because I feel way more safe and confident on a pony now. Fortunately I am lightweight and not too tall so I can ride ponies. If you still have all your confidence then the height probably isn't that important.

Agree very much with Anne that many horses are waay under exercised these days, and often live in tiny little paddocks which makes matters even worse.
I find that the problem is (when it comes to looking for a horse to just 'have fun' with) that if they are ok just to plod around on a couple of times a week they're usually not very nice to ride and you are really limited as to what you can do, so then you go off looking for something that can do more (e.g. a bit of schooling, cantering and longer hacks) and those ones need riding nearly every day and are not usually much good as confidence builders.

The few 'gems' available that strike the perfect balance have very large price tags (fair enough) - which I don't want to pay for a horse just to 'have fun/spend time' with. Sometimes they come up for lease/loan though.

Hope you find something suitable and really enjoy getting back into it. It's awesome having your own horse!
Minky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:20 PM   #9
katieb
lsb member
Friend of LSB

hey if any of you looking for horses are on facebook theres quite a few groups where people advertise their horses... I just bought an 18month old
I can give you links if anyone is interested
Old 17th April 2012, 08:01 AM   #10
FarmerEms
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieb View Post
hey if any of you looking for horses are on facebook theres quite a few groups where people advertise their horses... I just bought an 18month old
I can give you links if anyone is interested
I'd be keen - Thanks Katie
Old 17th April 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Denneaux
lsb member
Friend of LSB

My horse's get ridden about three times a week each for stockwork during summer and once a weekish during winter. Mine are fine to climb onto after months in the paddock for a nice sane plod around. And I wouldn't discourage anybody from getting a suitable horse if they were limited to once or twice a week riding

I think the problem arises when you ask for more than a plod around the farm. I'd never drag my nags out of the paddock once a week and try to ride a dressage test or jump a course. These things require fitness and subtle communication between horse and rider that you can't hope to achieve with infrequent riding.

There is nothing special about my horses. I expect any horse past the green broke stage to remember the basics after a spell. And as long as you don't exceed the horses fitness level during your ride, there is no harm in a light hack in familiar surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
The other thing you need to consider if you are planning on only riding 1 or 2 times a week is that will be insufficient excercise for most horses. The consequences of that will be you either get a horse which is explosive to ride when you do ride it - and so not very pleasant or it will be very unfit and hard work to keep going - and so not very pleasant.

The horses in the second category (ie when they don't have enough work, get really lazy) are very hard to come by and are usually worth a lot of money.

If you really can't work your horse more than once or twice a week, lease or borrow one for a while until you find out if you can cope with an over active horse or that you'd rather just continue to ride a friend's when the offer is made.

Horses aren't like tennis racquets and motor bikes. They can't be put down for a week and then picked up again. You will get an enormous amount of fun from a horse (or horses) if you commit to riding the horse 5 -6 days a week. Once you and the horse know each other and work well together, you can reduce that, but it is the best way to start. I get sent a number of "problem" horses - the usual cure is increase the work. At the end of 2 weeks of being ridden 6 days with one day off, horsey is generally polite and well mannered and copes with just about anything - but the owner needs to understand that all I did was ride the horse every day.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!
Denneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 09:19 AM   #12
FarmerEms
lsb member

A plodder is basically what i'd want. I don't have time to get into anything like jumping/dressage/eventing, or the money.

I'd like something that doesn't really mind who climbs on (to a point obviosuly ) and something just to have fun on. maybe a canter/gallop here and there. bit of forrest riding maybe once every few months.. I guess everyone has their own opinions on what is good/what isn't.. But it was also more of a testing the waters, seeing if anyone has that type of horse around.. ha ha .. pity I don't live closer to kindajojo

Last edited by FarmerEms; 18th April 2012 at 08:35 PM..
FarmerEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:22 AM   #13
GloPony
Horse Hippy

They're certainly around & although now is a great time to buy (with a depressed market) you'll probably find that you're paying a good amount of $$ for a younger horse (5 - 15) that fits your needs. You might find exactly what you're looking for in this age bracket but be prepared to wait awhile & be prepared to pay top dollar.

I would suggest maybe looking at a semi-retired horse who has 'been there, done that' & is keen on a cruisy life. There are pros & cons to an older horse but if you're prepared to take a little more care of them (rugs, feeding, joint supplements, etc) you can get a LOT of mileage out of an older horse. I would also like to think though that someone taking on an older horse will be committed to it's retirement & won't try to pass it on as a paddockmate or dog tucker it when it's no longer rideable. Something else to consider!

I wouldn't limit yourself by breed or looks either.Take each horse on it's own merits.
GloPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 01:32 PM   #14
GGZ
lsb member

Hi KatieB, I would love to know the facebook sites too please.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:44 PM   #15
mikethebike
getting old poms.

I for one would never buy a horse without at least a three month trial period, there are loads of horses out there its very much a buyers market so insist on a trial before you buy even if its with a small deposit to show that you are serious otherwise walk away, people misrepresent their horses some intentionally some not, but what is a quiet plod to one person is a crazy full on beast to others, which is all the more reason to try before you buy!!
Mike suzi & Zoe, 12acres in takapau, two goats willie and blake and 15 angora mates and Marcus the super Buck, tess, saffie & Horatio the dogs, bob, phoebe(RIP) & smiffy, the well travelled cats, prince the wonder horse and baby robin, lightning, tinkerbell and Lucky the Lamb, Beryl Peggy & thelma the Pigs , Huey, duey, & Luey and hundreds of other ducks and all their kids, cocky and his mates plus a harem of chooky chicks,surely no room Room for more? oh and we painted our truck Zebra stripes
mikethebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 02:39 PM   #16
xevbellringer
lsb member

Well, I would not lease out a horse ever again, especially one that I wanted to sell. The damage that can be done to a horse by the wrong rider is huge & it can occur in a very short time! The amount of harm done in 3 months could be phenomenal. 2 weeks should be sufficient to decide if the horse is going to fit the bill. As a seller, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a 3 month trial period.
xevbellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Denneaux
lsb member
Friend of LSB

I'd let you come ride the horse, mikethebike, at my place for 3 months (free exercise for horse) to decide, but there would be no way the horse would leave the property without full payment and references checked.

...and if a better buyer came along in the meantime you'd be on yer ass and looking for another horse!

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!
Denneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #18
FarmerEms
lsb member

I guess that does raise the question that you'd want a nearby horse if planning on buying if you want a trial/lease period
Old 18th April 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
katieb
lsb member
Friend of LSB

sorry ive had a couple of busy days

heres links to horse & pony groups
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/146444845422556/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/175577969161921/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/268721763152463/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/202869159754904/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/235000493207672/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/365430660162275/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/HorseyGirl17/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/131826750210/

theres also the following groups if anyones interested....
Pets for sale
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/PetLoversInNz/
lifestyle block farmers
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/272485996145984/
mini horses
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/287970534597349/
treks
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/295590470489509/
foal chat
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/215541938510800/
paint & QH chat
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/224541644269677/

theres other groups too... warning it can become addictive!

Last edited by katieb; 18th April 2012 at 05:27 PM..
katieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 06:41 PM   #20
mikethebike
getting old poms.

well as the old saying goes its horses for courses, for example I currently have (hes not for sale) a huge 17+ hands standy that is an ex pacer, he was bought for loads of money by a young woman i know as a first own horse, he came from Hamilton and is 9yrs old he was described by the seller as a gentle giant ideal first ride, but when she got him home to hawkes bay he played up something rotten, so that she was scared stiff to go near him let alone ride him, he can be intimidating she asked me if i could find him a home so i have here, he's turned out to be the sweetest natured horse i have come across so far he was just suffering a mouth full of ulcers and needs to know whos in charge, at first he would walk all over you pull ahead when he was lead and nipped all the time but hes real smart and after just a couple of weeks ground work hes lovely, well except that like the other standy he can open gates and plays with anything left in his paddock which can be bloody annoying! point is he is the right horse but not for his old owner, hence try before you buy!!!
Mike suzi & Zoe, 12acres in takapau, two goats willie and blake and 15 angora mates and Marcus the super Buck, tess, saffie & Horatio the dogs, bob, phoebe(RIP) & smiffy, the well travelled cats, prince the wonder horse and baby robin, lightning, tinkerbell and Lucky the Lamb, Beryl Peggy & thelma the Pigs , Huey, duey, & Luey and hundreds of other ducks and all their kids, cocky and his mates plus a harem of chooky chicks,surely no room Room for more? oh and we painted our truck Zebra stripes
mikethebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #21
GGZ
lsb member

Hi Katib, Thanks for taking the time to post those FB links they are great! I am not very good at FB, how did you find them? I would like to try and find if there are any that just do one location like Auckland wide, do you know if there is a way I could do this please?
Old 19th April 2012, 01:01 PM   #22
bevhawkins
lsb member

I would not lease out a horse either, some sellers may welcome you to ride at their place several times like I did when I brought my QH but you may be better off going to a riding school first and get back into the riding first before taking on a horse/pony.
bevhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
katieb
lsb member
Friend of LSB

One of my friends added me to the first one & it sort of went from there, one of the 1st ones I joined had a list of other pages in the documents section & sometimes people post other pages on some of them

I know theres ones like TB rehoming, Std breds for sale etc, Maybe post on a couple of pages & ask if anyone knows if theres Auckland pages or just write a little ad with where you are & what you are after, theres a search bar on each page so if you cant find your post you can search for your name then write 'bump' to bump your ad back to the top.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:41 PM   #24
katieb
lsb member
Friend of LSB

When my sister & I first started riding our first ponies were loan ponies, we looked after them as if they were our own, one died of old age before going to teach another girl how to ride & the other went on to teach other kids before drying of old age(didnt make it to teaching the owners grandkids). My Parents werent horsey & thought horses might be a phase 14 years later im 28 with a paddock of horses & my sisters 20 & rides at my place a few times a year(I was way more horse mad than her!). Leasing a pony was a good way to get into it when they didnt have the knowledge as the last thing they wanted was an unsuitable pony that was dangerous.
After 6 months or so they bought me my own SJing pony who I still have, if his owners hadnt allowed him to stay at my riding instructors for a week before we bought him I wouldnt have him... he was still on heaps of hard feed & had sat in a paddock for 2/3 weeks after his last competition.
When we had him on trial he was insured
We leased my sisters 2nd pony out for 1.5yrs after she gave up, the first 3months were a trial period & she had to be insured by the girls family the whole time they had her(she was SH pony of the year before my sister got her)
I have heard of bad stories re trials & leases on both sides but we have been lucky

I currently have 2 horses & a pony here that I have the use of but dont own... 1 the owner came & rode 2.5years ago & I havnt heard from since, the other horse I havnt met the owner but know the guy that bred him who was asked to find a new home for him last year... this guy gave me the pony 2. I also had a pony here for 2.5years on loan from a friend who took her back a few weeks ago as they wanted to sell her& she wasnt what we wanted to buy(she sold the day after they picked her up from me!)

in the past 3 years I have also been given 2 other horses on loan that I have sent back to their owners as they turned out to be unsuitable for what we wanted, we always send them back better than they arrive in even if the only difference is they are cleaner/feet are better/cover they came with is fixed.
I think if both the owner & the person leasing are straight forward in what they expect leasing can work really well for both sides
Old 19th April 2012, 01:57 PM   #25
emumad
lsb member

hi folks,
we have 2 horses, free to approved homes, summer is a 7yo mare done some polo and hacking work. vinnie is a 4yo gelding, really friendly nature, been broken in but needs more input .
these guys are just cruising around here eating and we are both working and do not have the time we would like to spend on them..
maybe someone would like them...
(i know this should be in the ads but winter is coming and we need to rehome them..)
contact me via lsb or 021-2341143
cheers, craig.
emumad is offline   Reply With Quote