Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 16th April 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
belinda_h
advanced member

Contractors - grrr

Lost power to half my house last night, and since the fuse box appears to be sound, sparky recommended I call the power provider. Yes, they can send someone out they said (after keeping me on hold for 15 minutes) - just need to have someone home for the next 4-6 hours.

Thankfully my computer and modem are unaffected by the problem, so I'm sitting here trying to work from home and waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting.

My local sparky and plumber wander on down on request, pick up the key from the letterbox, do the job, lock up and leave the key where they found it. No drama, job done. No worries about "health and safety" which is what the power provider told me was the reason I had to abandon the office for the day to sit around and wait for them. The concept of customers having a job seemed to be a real surprise!
belinda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
3 girls farming
lsb member

Re: Contractors - grrr

isn't it wonderful to have a local sparky.. mine arrived the other day while I was out.. helped himself to the key... did the job.. locked up and left and then rang the next day with the 'bill'.. $30 and a cake... love locals... wish I had a skill I could share but not much need for an administrator in the country..
3 girls farming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 07:21 AM   #3
belinda_h
advanced member

He finally turned up - wouldn't have known he was here but I heard the ute door closing so I went out to talk to him. Five minute job and he was away. I had to be home for 'security' - he didn't actually set foot on my property, just the access road outside, and 'health and safety' - if he'd fallen off the pole I wouldn't have known. Ridiculous bureaucracy with no concept of customer needs, eg the need to earn a living
belinda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
LongRidge
lsb member

That seems like a problem with your supply company and their interpretation, rather than the regulations. When we lost a pole fuse in the middle of a winters night (about 10pm) we called the company and someone was out in about 10 minutes. Being interested, I "helped" but was not required to be present. The repair men should have an emergency location system to avoid the need to work with the house owner. Write the supply company a letter and suggest they put location devices on their vehicles, and something to give to the operator that shows when he has been electrocuted. That way they can call the ambulance to get out to the exact place much faster than you will be able to get back to your phone.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Hawkspur
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Ask them for a training course on how to know what are safe distances from live wires, resuscitation etc.
Hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote