Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 16th April 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Newbies
lsb member

Flubenol - How to administer

Just a quick question on best way to administer Flubenol powder to our two pigs. Stu, I know you have a great method but wondering what your dose is. I've just managed to get a container (185ml) of Flubenol 5% from a local vet. Their recommended dose is 1.5 level teaspoons per 10kg of food, being sole feed and repeated for 7 days. I've read some of your previous posts and it sounds like you do just the one treatment with bread? What side effects should I be looking out for as well?
Old 16th April 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Sue
Moos and clucks
Friend of LSB

Re: Flubenol - How to administer

I know nothing about worming pigs, but I would question the 'repeat for 7 days' If you look up Flubenol on line it says it is effective against adults imature larva and eggs, so why would one treat for 7 days? Check that it isn't per 10kg of bodyweight rather than food? Read the on line recommendations here.

http://www.fanevalleystores.com/prod...ormer-for-pigs

and
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Flubenol-...tinfo/FLUB600/

this mentions ..
Quote:
1. Individual treatment: (Single administration)
Add 1 g of Flubenol for each 10 kg bodyweight onto the finished feed. (This is equivalent to 5 mg of flubendazole per one kg bodyweight). One 13 g measuring spoon treats one 130 kg sow.
Old 17th April 2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

worming pigs is 1 gram Flubenol for every20kg of body weight ... so 3 grams flubenol in a bun or a roll or in a buttered bread sandwich for a 60kg piggy
Thats the one dose way instead of so many grams of flubenol mixed with so much food for so many days ... Vets found the 1 dose ratios dose rate in their info book thing for me .. have used it very successfully on my piggies
I haven't noticed any side effects .. lol except maybe that they seem to put on weight and be a little slower gulping down food from about 3 days after being dosed lol
Old 17th April 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Xartep
lsb member

My vet wouldn't give me Flubenol as the accepted dosage is over a 7 day period and she considered this too hard to administer, especially in a mixed aged group.

Flubenol is apparently the worming product of choice in large piggeries, where the piggies are kept in groups according to weight and weighed daily so administering the correct dosage per pig is relatively simple.

Stu's vet can be commended for going that extra distance for him and finding the once off dosage.

From my experience administering injections of worming products to 50kilo pigs is an unpleasant experience. Feeding each pig an appropriate sized piece of dosed food is much preferable.

Xartep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Newbies
lsb member

Thanks for the replies. We gave a single dose to both piggies yesterday using your bread and butter method Stu, no problems. No visible side effects this morning. Sue I had found exactly the same dosage recommendation that you quoted, and every other website I looked at suggested the same rate, or close to, for Flubenol 5%.
Xartep we decided against the injectable wormers for that reason. I didn't fancy our chances in keeping them settled enough to do it properly! Good idea for very young weaners I imagine.
Thanks again for your help.