Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can pigs eat Fish Frames?

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 14:11 #21725

• streety
  • New lsb member
Hi I do a far amount of fishing and wondered if our pigs could eat the fish frames? Seems a real waste to chuck them? Any ideas - thanks
23 Chickens, 11 sheep, 2 pigs and a dog
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 14:27 #314269

• Kiwi303
  • valued contributor
  • LSBs token mad gunman.
  • Thank you received: 9
Does the pope wear a funny hat?

Yup, they'll crunch them down happily
You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 14:27 #314270

• Kiwi303
  • valued contributor
  • LSBs token mad gunman.
  • Thank you received: 9
Does the pope wear a funny hat?

Yup, they'll crunch them down happily
You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 15:48 #314300

• Seaside
  • valued contributor
Someone on here (I think LongRidge?) knows someone who worked somewhere at a fish factory and fed their pigs fish scraps. The meat tasted like fish - not recommended if you plan to eat your pigs, apparently.
Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 15:52 #314301

• arnie.m
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 1
No problems but I believe raw is OK, just don't feed them too many close to slaughter.
arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 15:59 #314303

arnie.m;299263 wrote: No problems but I believe raw is OK, just don't feed them too many close to slaughter.
Would fish not come under the rule that all meat products (as I'm assuming the frames will have meat on them) must be cooked for one hour before feeding to pigs?

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 21:14 #314359

• streety
  • New lsb member
So its three/one to the fish frames - the aged vegetarian debate is fish a meat? thank you all for your help

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 21:17 #314360

• Inger
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 6
All meat should be cooked. It makes it easier for the pigs to digest and lessens any harmful bacteria. Their stomachs are like ours, if we can eat it, so can they.
135 acres in Bay of Islands, including around 90 acres of Native Bush.
13 Dexter cows,
4 heifers & 3 bulls.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry.
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Gotland Sheep and Polled Wiltshire Sheep.
LOTS of wild birds incl. 10 Kiwi and lots of Weka. We also have frogs and a Heading Dog called Lad.

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 21:19 #314362

streety;299325 wrote: So its three/one to the fish frames - the aged vegetarian debate is fish a meat? thank you all for your help
I'm not saying don't feed them fish, I'm just asking if feeding raw fish is appropriate considering what the law says? I presume you wouldn't eat fish out of a bucket that has been sitting on the sink overnight? Or throughout the day?

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 21:35 #314367

• Beltie
  • lsb member
I would never do it. Having eaten bacon from a pig that was fed fish I can testify that it is REVOLTING!

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 23:26 #314381

• LongRidge
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 23
Yes, my neighbour worked in a mussel factory and could get the rejects and waste, but found that they needed to be off mussels for at least a couple of weeks. In the Chathams it is easy to go pighunting on the beach just at the outlet of the fish factory. But the locals don't bother because of the poor flavour of the pork.

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 23:36 #314382

• Jack
  • valued contributor
Gidday

"Would fish not come under the rule that all meat products"

The main reason for that rule is foot and mouth disease and seeing as fish don't have many feet I would suggest that the rule does apply.

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 20 Jan 2010 23:55 #314386

Jack;299351 wrote: Gidday
The main reason for that rule is foot and mouth disease and seeing as fish don't have many feet I would suggest that the rule does apply.
Biosecurity NZ say on their website, and I quote directly:

The Biosecurity (Meat and Food waste for Pigs) Regulations 2005 were introduced to control the spread of diseases like PRRS, swine vesicular disease, classical swine fever and foot and mouth disease.

That would seem to put several other nasty disease at the same level as foot and mouth in Biosecurity NZ's eyes.

When is fish not meat? Is it not protein and fats and oils? Is it unable to be contaminated by bacteria?

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 21 Jan 2010 00:20 #314388

• Ronney
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 12
Streety, I haven't come across you before so welcome to the site :)

Yes, pigs can eat fish frames but whatever you do, do NOT cook them unless you want to take the risk of losing your pigs. Fish bones, when cooked, become very hard so therefore difficult to digest and there is a big risk of them perforating the gut and you won't know until it starts bleeding from the anus. A slow death for the pig.

If feeding fish or fish by-products to grower pigs destined for the table, the general rule of thumb is to stop feeding it 6-8 weeks before slaughter otherwise the pork will have a distinct fishy taste. However, if the pig is only getting a dozen fish frames every couple of weeks this is unlikely to impact on the taste. If you have breeding sows and boars confine the feeding of fish to them - which is what I do.

As to the rest of it, commonsense should prevail. A freshy caught fish, gutted, filleted, the remainder put into a bucket and fed the next morning is hardly going to bring the pig industry collapsing around our ears.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 21 Jan 2010 02:06 #314392

• ronnie
  • valued contributor
LongRidge;299350 wrote: Yes, my neighbour worked in a mussel factory and could get the rejects and waste, but found that they needed to be off mussels for at least a couple of weeks. In the Chathams it is easy to go pighunting on the beach just at the outlet of the fish factory. But the locals don't bother because of the poor flavour of the pork.

On the Chathams, it is easy to go pig hunting almost anywhere [;)]
Cheers
Jan
www.kozitoez.co.nz

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 21 Jan 2010 10:59 #314447

• streety
  • New lsb member
Dear All - thank you so much for your great advice! I hope to be able to return the favor one day

Can pigs eat Fish Frames? 21 Jan 2010 11:22 #314454

• Cinsara
  • valued contributor
Ronney;299358 wrote: Yes, pigs can eat fish frames but whatever you do, do NOT cook them unless you want to take the risk of losing your pigs. Fish bones, when cooked, become very hard so therefore difficult to digest and there is a big risk of them perforating the gut and you won't know until it starts bleeding from the anus. A slow death for the pig.

I was thinking that too Ronney, I know I cant give cooked fish bones to my cats for that reason. Withholding the fish for a couple of weeks prior to slaughter should get rid of any taint in the meat, same as holding a wild turkey and grain feeding it for 2 weeks if it's caught in a month with an R in it :)
>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
Go to top