Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Killing agapanthus - a solution at last

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 15:15 #16759

• moggy
  • valued contributor
Having bent the garden fork, failed with a trowel, only marginly slowed down growth with the weedeater and not had any impact with weedkiller

finally we have a solution
Take the axe you use to chop firewood with to it. The result? - One massive clump gone in about 5 mins :D :D :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 15:36 #250256

• DiDi
  • valued contributor
moggy - I have killed it with Tordon Brushkiller and quite huge clumps at that with only one revisit. Especially good on the smaller plants which I hit all along the road in front of my property. I had mixed it at 25ml to 10 litres (same as for gorse) plus sticker, using a backpack type sprayer. Council road guys put me on to that.

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 15:43 #250260

• maggies mum
Watch those little bits of root still in the ground! They are the Captain Scarlett of plants and they will grow back!

Spray the hole too as a back up!

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 15:52 #250262

• moggy
  • valued contributor
The little shoots I am not too bothered about, I don't dislike the plant, just this clump was HUGE and taking over the border. I will quite happily have small clumps and as long as I keep pulling out new shoots, they are quite easy to maintain (this clump was out of control long before I lived here)

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 16:46 #250269

• Yakut
  • valued contributor
One of our ex neighbours kindly planted them up the shared driveway [}:)][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

I hate them. They are messy slug and snail motels and are just plain ugly. If they all dropped dead tomorrow, I'd be cheering my head orf!

There was nowt but the odd ill looking weed before and now we have the mass slowly growing like triffods and taking over. In fact, since the other neighbour left and tenants moved in, out driveway is starting to look like a green tunnel and the side lawn has disappeared under the hedge, wild chooks running about everywhere from another half witted neighbour.....

The new neighbours have had to fork out for someone to come and cut another neighbours piece of the grass verge up the driveway.... it's going to pot!

I suppose I could sneak out there under cover of darkness and accidentaly spray these blasted aggies.

It was lovely of her to plant these blessed things just before they moved... [:(!][:(!][:(!][}:)] kind of like leaving an annoying legacy. They'd been there for quite a few years and not bothered with that strip at all.......

New neighbours moved in further down the road and 'her indoors' decided to poison and cut out the 30 year old ivy growing on a lampost quite a distance from her house.. she can't even see that lampost from her house.
That ticked off a lot of locals.

I though aggies were being considered a pest by MAF or someone? They'd get my vote!

Yakut
Tinkerty Tonk

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 21:49 #250305

We have a few still in our driveway but I intend to leave them ~ I actually dont mind them as long as they are under control.

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 21:54 #250309

I got a whole bank of them free when we bought the block and I would need a digger and a ton of money to get them out and replant the area, plus a fence would have to be moved to do the work. I do dead head them before they go to seed. I agree with BB ok in small doses and under control.
kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 05 Feb 2009 22:34 #250319

• edster951
  • valued contributor
My wifey is planting them, she got about 10 from one plant.....
Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last 06 Feb 2009 07:47 #250337

I find them really attractive amongst grasses, cordylines & the like.
As long as you dont let them get out of control and dead head them like TKP says I dont see whats wrong with having them.
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds
Go to top