Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: yucky topic but do you take worming tablets?

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 04 Jun 2008 21:46 #12952

• Jan
  • valued contributor
Ok gross topic I know.. but after reading the post about worms by Muletide, it got me thinking about all the worms and eggs that may be around the farm. Could the kids (and adults) easily get worms? What type of worms are transferable to humans?

For example, the other day, I saw a tapeworm worm wriggling on the cats fur (..must have crawled up from him his backside but still very alive...ewwyuck.) even though we do have a strict worming regime with all our animals big and small.

Anyway out came the worming tablets next day for my family ... myself, hubby, preschool son and school daughter (and cats).

We dont regualry worm ourselves but wondering if we should, after all we do the animals religiously ...

So does everyone worm themselves on a regular basis, or just whenever or not at all ?
Jan

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 04 Jun 2008 21:59 #200100

• Isla
  • valued contributor
Do tape worms wriggle? I thought they just hooked on and fed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 04 Jun 2008 22:40 #200105

• DiDi
  • valued contributor
My mother used to worm the whole family annually at the beginning of the then May school holidays. I did the same with my children but must admit I haven't thought about it in a while. Maybe that is why I am always hungry! Yep - that is now on the list given the number of lizard kisses I get from my dog.
Good thinking Jan.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 06:30 #200108

• Angie
  • advanced lsb member
After seeing what comes out of various animals after worming, I'm too afraid to worm myself... imagine seeing something like that in the loo!
Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 06:34 #200109

• edster951
  • valued contributor
When your son comes out of loo saying "There are crawly things on my poo!" then its time to worm every one. We do once or twice a year. That was in town, no we are in the country we may do it every 3-4 months.
Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 07:48 #200116

• kaumea
  • valued contributor
how do we get those worms?
With the food??? with the water???
I had no idea that we can get worms at all...why???
I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 07:49 #200117

My mother always wormed us kids as well and I have just continued on doing so. I do it twice yearly..

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 07:50 #200118

• reggit
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 3
Handling animals and animal stuff and picking up their worms that way [xx(]

Got as far as buying the tablets one year but chickened out :(
Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:00 #200120

• PRU2
  • valued contributor
It is one of those, if I ignore "it","it" will go away subjects. :D
Since having kids we have done the worm tablet thing.
Kaumea, there a few worms that we can pick up from animals and some that are only human ones. :)
Can't remember, ( will try to ), but there was an interesting study/article about how we need a few of these things to keep us healthy ( they are trialing a particular one, for treatment of some disease/ailment in humans) and like animals can live quite happily with a few "tenants'. [:0]
Hahahaha, I can imagine some of you sitting there squerming around on ya seats...........[;)][;)]

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:01 #200121

there is an interesting theory that was topical a while back, all to do with worms and asthma. it went something along the lines of worms produce some sort of chermical that suppresses our immune system to stop our bodies getting rid of them. these chemicals also reduced our reactiivity to some allergens. now that we live in an increasing sterile environment,(anti bacterial soap, worming tablets, pasturised milk etc), we arent infested as we were when the human species was evolving, so we dont have these suppressing chemicals in our systems to the same degree, and that could be one of the reasons why asthma etc seems so prevalent these days. think about the beneficial bacteria in our system, why couldnt worms also be beneficial. disgusting thought i know, but seems to make sense
what i do for kicks...
www.woodentrack.co.nz

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:03 #200123

• PRU2
  • valued contributor
That might be what I was thinking of MC. :D

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:10 #200125

PRU2;

Can't remember, ( will try to ), but there was an interesting study/article about how we need a few of these things to keep us healthy ( they are trialing a particular one, for treatment of some disease/ailment in humans) . [:0 wrote:

...........[;)][;)]

It's for people suffering from Crohn's disease. :(

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:13 #200127

• kaumea
  • valued contributor
then you take tablets only if you see those worms?
I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:22 #200128

• maggies mum
Shouldn't you be having FECs done first?? ;)

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:24 #200129

kaumea;173190 wrote: then you take tablets only if you see those worms?
They used to say if you have kids and they are always itching their butts then perhaps they have worms.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:29 #200131

• maggies mum
That is usually a good indication. If they are itching their bottoms get a torch and check their bottom at night, the worms come out at night to lay their eggs.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 08:57 #200137

maggies mum;173195 wrote: That is usually a good indication. If they are itching their bottoms get a torch and check their bottom at night, the worms come out at night to lay their eggs.

MM have you ever performed that task? If so did the person "Co-operate" or did you tell them to lay back and think of England.? :D

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 09:27 #200144

• cowvet
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 31
There aren't many worms from animals that will infect humans - none that I can think of that get into your gut and grow into worms. the worms that live out a normal lifecycle in humans are human specific worms (not from animals)

Some animal worms can cause problems in humans - the cat and dog "Toxocara" worms can infect humans and once ingested migrate through the organs and also have a predisposition of finding the eyes/optic nerve. This infection and migration is referred to as "visceral larval migrans"and "ocular larval migrans". Infection is from faecal material going in the oral route of humans!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2293.htm

Other worms that can be an issue in humans is hookworm - they do the "cutaneous larval migrans" thing by burrowing in through the skin and whizzing around a bit. This is usually a problem in parts of the worls where animals are pooping around where people are walking with bare feet, ie, they get in via the skin

How I handle worms. I worm my household pets regularly - none of those alternative medicines i want the stuff that works (don't particulalrly like the idea of that visceral larval migrans in me let alone my wee babes!). I am pedantic about human hygiene and pets - the children are always taught to wash hands before eating and after handling the pets. I wear gloves in the garden. We cover the sandpit.
Human worming - do as required - ie, waking at night, itchy bottoms etc (haven't had an issue yet). I also tend to worm the humans if we have been overseas where food preparation is probably not as hygienic etc.

a good overall summary in this link
http://www.wormtreatment.com/worm/pets/

I love animals...they're delicious

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 09:30 #200145

• maggies mum
gemini kiwi;173201 wrote: MM have you ever performed that task? If so did the person "Co-operate" or did you tell them to lay back and think of England.? :D

Once! :D Best to do it while they sleep!

Have you not seen the packets of worming tablets in the shops with a free torch??? I kid you not! [:0][;)][xx(]

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 09:36 #200147

• cowvet
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 31
More to the point - do you worm your household pets regularly (should be in the survey). I am gobsmacked how few people do - and it stuns me to see families with young kids not dealing with hygiene issues and not worming their pets.

I love animals...they're delicious

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 09:46 #200150

• maggies mum
Yep, always worms dogs and cats, I'm very hot on that. I have damage to one eye due to Toxicara canis, so pretty paranoid!

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 12:28 #200191

• jeannielea
  • valued contributor
For those who are about to worm themselves and families,there are now chocolate tablets shaped like a small cube of choc. And I hear they taste pretty good too. So why not do it and don't even worry about the torch thing!!

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 15:34 #200230

• max2
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 15
jeannielea;173260 wrote: For those who are about to worm themselves and families,there are now chocolate tablets shaped like a small cube of choc. And I hear they taste pretty good too. So why not do it and don't even worry about the torch thing!!

The choccy ones are a birthday treat in our house.... :D :D its the only way I can remember when I have done it the previous year....

Funny to come across people who have never heard of human worming. Mum was always onto it with us, but the SOH had never heard of it before meeting me.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 16:33 #200241

• DiDi
  • valued contributor
Your SOH is not alone there as one of my daughter's boyfriends was always itching his bum so I asked him if he had been wormed. He had no idea and on asking his Mum, the answer was no so guess what... I had had enough of watching "itchy bum".

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 17:57 #200252

• max2
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 15
DiDi;173314 wrote: Your SOH is not alone there as one of my daughter's boyfriends was always itching his bum so I asked him if he had been wormed. He had no idea and on asking his Mum, the answer was no so guess what... I had had enough of watching "itchy bum".

Is he still "dating" :D :D your Daughter Didi?

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 19:28 #200265

• witheze
  • valued contributor
I completely blocked my throat by trying to swallow two large worm tablets without a drink of water, because I was in a hurry to get to work. I was in the habit of swallowing vitamins this way . [:0] I couldn't get fluid or dry bread to dislodge them. I managed to phone gurgle at the neighbours who came across and tried the heimlick manoevre to dislodge them. Didn't work. We rang work [the hospital] to see what to do, and to say I was delayed... and they sent an ambulace on its way [:I]. I was getting panicky after 20 mins or so when finally the edges softened and they [had stuck together] finally went down my throat. I have never treated myself again. :D

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 05 Jun 2008 19:44 #200268

• Sunflower
  • advanced lsb member
[:0] Witheze, I would recomend the choco ones for you this time around.[;)]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 06 Jun 2008 15:11 #200378

• scooter
  • advanced lsb member
Our Plunket nurse suggested I was worming our kids too often! [B)]

I was giving them worm pills at the end of each school term. (3 terms/yr) back then.
"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 07:58 #285909

• Stu_R
  • valued contributor
hmmmmmmm i have never wormed me ... i have never even thought about doing it ... :) and as still alive and fine now, i see no reason to change what i do :)
5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 08:05 #285910

I remember my mother shining the torch around our "bum area" when we were in bed, looking for worms, when we were kids...eeeek

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 10:41 #285928

I have two young children and have wormed only when any symptoms appear (itchy bums) though I dose the whole family, symptoms or not. I was once told by the pharmicist not to worry too much about catching from the animals you live with, its the two legged variety you have to worry about, mainly at kindy age when they havent quite got the hygiene skills down pat yet. :) :)

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 11:40 #285939

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 2
We do a 'de-worming' now and then but with a Malcolm Harker product rather than drugs. My partner spent 23 years in Canada where threadworms in the soil is a real infestation threat, especially for children.

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 13:29 #285954

• Xartep
  • valued contributor
I use the Malcom Harker product myself, but find the pills easier with OH and growing person.

I have a friend who used to sell the stuff and she was horrified to discover that some parents worm their kids every term. Same as with sheep parasites I suspect, creates resistance.

Of course living rural you are at higher risk of getting a worm burden. And need to be aware of the symptoms.

My mum was hot on worming, when I was a kid, as we were all nail biters [:0] the stuff they used back then was NASTY![}:)] I vomited it all over the kitchen one time[:I]

Worming household pets regularly is also essential. We are on the worming register for the cats and dogs, and the right amount of pills arrive in the mail every 3 months, and a invoice arrives from the vet shortly thereafter. Makes life much easier.
3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 13:50 #285957

• TKFARMER
  • advanced lsb member
My understanding of worm pills is not to take them if you do not have worms. Can recall seeing it on the label.tkf
Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 14:10 #285960

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 2
TKFARMER;267756 wrote: My understanding of worm pills is not to take them if you do not have worms. Can recall seeing it on the label.tkf
Which obviously raises the question: How are you supposed to know if you have them? :confused:

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 15:07 #285973

• Xartep
  • valued contributor
Organix;267759 wrote: Which obviously raises the question: How are you supposed to know if you have them? :confused:

Itchy bums, grumpy, broken sleep.[;)]
Can check at night with a torch around the anus for wee worms, or a piece of double sided selotape will catch them...
3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 15:14 #285976

• Yakut
  • valued contributor
I had a tape worm as a kid, was very sick. Dr didn't know what was wrong, thought it was depression. I would be fine until I ate and then a while after would feel horrible. So I was feeling squirmy just after breakfast, fine by lunchtime, after lunch I'd feel squirmy again, then fine by dinner time, then feel squirmy again.. or that's how I remember it. My parents thought it was because I didn't want to go to school. They even bought me a new bike to cheer me up! I think it was licorice powder that sorted the problem... can't remember.... I do remember my poor Dad having to give me one of those 'botty pills' though. Mum wasn't much good at being 'nursemaid' to us kids.

I buy a couple of tablets every so often and we both take one. No big deal, just chew it swallow it and carry on.
I reckon the human race is being a bit OTT with this antibacterial soap stuff and all the other germ killers. If your body doesn't have to fight off the odd bug now and then, you won't have any resistance to any wee thing.

Yakut
Tinkerty Tonk

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 01 Aug 2009 16:16 #285990

• jeannielea
  • valued contributor
Yakut I can relate to that. While living in Indonesia we had to worm for threadworms from less than a year old. But the day not quite 2 year old gave a slight cough and out came a roundworm about 6inches long was definitely one to remember!! Can't remember if she had been grumpy or eating affected beforehand though.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 02 Aug 2009 22:43 #286303

• DiDi
  • valued contributor
Wow - where did this thread come from again. Yes Swagie from the 5th June - 8 years in fact!

I see no problem with farm humans doing an annual worming. When I see what my cat eats followed by smooching (aka ownership swipes) I feel a damn sight happier knowing that anything she may have in not transferable. I did read your thread Cowvet!

No - I don't worm my cat and dog as often as is suggested just as I don't worm my horses as often as is recommended on the packets. It is to damn expensive so I make my judgement based on their physical condition and how shiny their coats are.

Having said all that - I have no small children in my life so no worries about "cross contamination". Grumpy, itchy = worm pills - once a year.

yucky topic but do you take worming tablets? 03 Aug 2009 10:52 #286362

• sky
  • advanced lsb member
Yep I worm the whole family once a year, always have done.
The worming tablets don't say anything about tape worm though and I always worry about that as I know we humans can get them too.
How would you know if you had a tape worm, I mean do folk always suffer unpleasant symptoms if they have a tape worm or can one live in you happily undiscovered for ever more?
Canterbury
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Go to top