Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do raspberries need support?

Do raspberries need support? 27 Jul 2009 23:24 #19192

• welshie
  • advanced lsb member
I've been gifted about 8 very long raspberry canes and am having trouble deciding where to plant them! Do they need a fence or some support, or are they self-supporting? The canes seem quite strong but they are about a metre long. I've gardened for years but know nothing about raspberries! :confused:
welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do raspberries need support? 28 Jul 2009 11:41 #285066

• Seaside
  • valued contributor
I have never grown them, but my Granny did. She trained them on a trellis held up with bamboo poles, and had netting over to stop the birds getting them.

I think if you leave them, they will grow OK, but the will slump down into themselves which makes it hard to pick the berries in the middle. A bit like a wild blackberry bush, if you know what I mean?
Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Do raspberries need support? 28 Jul 2009 11:52 #285072

• Xartep
  • valued contributor
I don't think it is necessary.
Most plantings that I have seen have a post at either end with a couple of wires between. This keeps the raspberries upright. No tying up required.
Depending on the type of R-berry you may need to prune that long stem out and the new growth will be your fruiting stems. Check with who ever gave them to you.
3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Do raspberries need support? 29 Jul 2009 23:19 #285464

• wiredkiwi
  • advanced lsb member
I have sunk 2 warratahs and strung 4 strands of old electric fence wire between them for the rasperries. Works like a charm. I had to have 3 varieties in the end to ensure I get enough berries right through the season (spring fruiting, autumn fruiting and an ever bearing variety). Is a constant battle with the birds, which is where the warratahs come into their own. I throw a net over the top string, which is higher than the canes, and peg the bottom of the net out like a triangle tent. Stops *some* of the avian thieving!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

Do raspberries need support? 29 Jul 2009 23:25 #285465

nope, never had to support mine they grow up tall and then need to be pruned heavily in winter :) really easy to grow :D mmmmmm yummm raspberries
Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

Do raspberries need support? 30 Jul 2009 09:02 #285492

• Simkin
  • valued contributor
I cut the top third off of my raspberry canes. This means that there will be some branching out and heavier cropping.

After transplanting I would cut the existing canes back almost to soil level, leaving just a couple of buds. I wouldn't let them fruit, either, because it is better to let them get on with producing new canes for the following season.

I don't stake mine. If the tops have been cut off the bending down becomes less of a problem.

Do raspberries need support? 30 Jul 2009 09:57 #285506

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 2
As a few others have said it is advisable to run horizontal wires between end posts. This is not only for support but also can be used to support bird protection ("vine net") and with the use of a few kiwifruit clips will stop wind damage to some extent :)

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

Do raspberries need support? 31 Jul 2009 21:12 #285878

• welshie
  • advanced lsb member
Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I plan to check with the lady who gave me the canes....but she's busy having a baby right now, so I'd better wait a little longer![;)]
welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

Do raspberries need support? 02 Aug 2009 16:07 #286176

• rose
  • advanced lsb member
Wiredkiwi, what is an 'ever bearing variety' and what variety do you use that would fruit in spring here? :)

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 12:49 #286395

• wiredkiwi
  • advanced lsb member
Hi Rose,

Ever bearing means fruiting in spring and autumn. Technically a dual cropper. I'm not sure how good this one will be (it's called Aspiring from the Incredible Edibles range http://www.edible.co.nz/varieties.php?fruitid=15#Aspiring - I got mine from Mitre 10 Mega a few months ago) but I'm giving it a crack!

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 15:22 #286435

Does anyone have any spare raspberry canes they would kindly send me? Would happily pay for postage of course! :)

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 17:39 #286462

• wiredkiwi
  • advanced lsb member
where are you homebirther? I am doing a bit of a South Island road trip in 1st week of Oct, and I'll happily drop some of mine off if I'm passing anywhere by you. I can post some but not for about 3 or 4 weeks as that's when I uproot the new shoots that are escaping the confines of where I want them to be. I can offer you probably 6 to 12 autumn bearing canes this year, and I can give you some spring bearing and ever-bearing canes in about May next year.

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 19:35 #286486

thanks WiredKiwi! That would be fab...I am in Hamilton at the moment, but am moving to Taupo (to our lifestyle block!!!!) between mid-end of September (just havent got the exact date at the mo). I won't be planting them till we have moved, so 3-4 away will be perfect :)

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 19:46 #286489

• wiredkiwi
  • advanced lsb member
No worries. PM me when you move and I'll sort you out some canes. I have a friend who also has raspberries so I'll see what she's got as well.

Do raspberries need support? 03 Aug 2009 20:01 #286493

Thanks, will do
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds
Go to top