Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP!

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 18 Feb 2008 17:28 #11162

• reggit
  • valued contributor
This autumn coming I want to get at least 2 or 3 of the fruit/nut trees that were supposed to go in last autumn :( in the ground.

One of these is a Luisa plum - has anyone in the Waikato bought one in the last few years, and if so, from where? I don't recall seeing any in the garden centres I visited last season when the new stock came in...
Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 08:16 #173457

JJ's Garden Center on Te Kowhai Rd had a few in this season but I wasn't very impressed with the quality. I ended up getting Mum to bring me up one from Edible Garden in Palmerston North. Maybe if you leave your details at various places, you might get first dibs on any that come in[;)]
9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 09:08 #173473

• maggies mum
Thats a shame about JJs their trees are normally very good!

Contact the local tree crops association.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 09:14 #173475

• eelcat
  • valued contributor
MM we got ours from Edible Garden in PN too. She can arrange delivery. Excellent quality trees - out of the 80 or so trees of different varieties we have planted we have only lost one (a persimon tree) even through the current drought.
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 09:30 #173483

• maggies mum
Thanks for the contact, I would like to add to our fruit trees, got apples, pears, plums, a lemon & grapefruit trees already, need feijoa, persimmom, peaches etc.

I will check out JJ's first though, best trees to get are the bare rooted ones, we gots heaps from them and planted at the old place, they are doing very well by the looks of them.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 11:36 #173530

• reggit
  • valued contributor
PG put me on to Sarah at Edible Gardens and she advises no stock of Luisa for 2008 as the only propagator (has royalty rights) in Cambridge is fully sold out for this season. She's saving me one for 2009.

I might check JJs just in case in June/July - as they all come from the same place/supplier regardless :) - as it seems so silly for a tree to be shipped from Cambridge, just down the road, to Palmy North and back just for the heck of it!
Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 11:39 #173531

• maggies mum
Dont forget the Tree crops assoc

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 11:53 #173535

• reggit
  • valued contributor
I had a look at their website, MM, but they just seem to list suppliers rather than stock for sale...

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 11:56 #173536

• maggies mum
Think you might be better talking to a member, I know a friend of mine who belongs to it, has a list of tree sources, well she did when I was trying to track down a bramley apple tree.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 12:00 #173539

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Okay, will talk to you about that next time I see ya! :)

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 12:03 #173540

• maggies mum
PM'ed ya a contact number

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Feb 2008 12:09 #173544

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Ta muchly! :)

Just called JJ's, they have stock coming in end of June, said that last year they weren't able to get any. They'll give me a call when they are there - want me to tip you off too, MM?

Will see what the quality is like - as I say, they are the from the same propagator/supplier wherever you buy them retail...

Just slurping through a nice juicy Luisa plum from the Farmers Market as we speak, the bags don't last long here!

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 14:28 #210465

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Yay! Got my hands on one solitary Luisa plum tree (sorry MM they wouldn't let me have more than one :(). Have to find it a special place in the new orchard as our very first fruit tree there :D

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 15:32 #210475

• max2
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 4
Tigger do you anticipate any possum problems with your orchard?

Up our way the Builder has installed bait stations around the rebuild, perhaps "our" possums have larger appetites?[xx(]
:p[:X]

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 15:35 #210479

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Our neighbours tell us they haven't had problems with possums in the years they have been there since possum control started in the bush remnant a bit behind us...who knows. Will see what happens [:I].

If we do start having problems, it'll be Timms traps at 20 paces! [:(!]

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 17:50 #210509

Did they have anymore Tigger?
kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 17:52 #210510

• LongRidge
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 22
What are you using as the pollinator? Remember that if you want the pollinator to fruit reliably, you might need a pollinator for it, too?

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 19 Jul 2008 19:12 #210516

• reggit
  • valued contributor
I checked and Luisas are self-pollinating, LR [:I]

TKP, they only got in about 8 or 9 and they have all gone to pre-orders...and even if it was pre-ordered they only allowed one per person :(. You could check later in the week if someone hasn't picked theirs up, but I think you'd be wasting your time...see earlier posts about the problems this year sourcing them from the propagators...

Now if only I can find a place to buy a Pacific Rose apple...but they are still under 'commercial growers only' status or whatever they call it...

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 20 Jul 2008 12:48 #210597

• mishka
  • New lsb member
We got our Luisa plum tree last year from Mason's nursery out in Ohaupo, and had fruit this year off it....and yes it is self-fertile. Brilliant people out there at Mason's, really know what they are talking about. I will not go to JJ's as they ripped me off many years ago .

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Aug 2008 02:14 #214872

• hijk637
  • lsb member
slimming Slimming products Weight loss products Product DescriptionIt is a slimming health care product made of L—carnitine, seed of sickle, oriental water plantain, lotus leaf and starch, which has been proved to be effective for slimming and health through function test. It has been tested and approved by SFDA to be 100% natural and no side-effect. Its remarkable effects are regulating incretion, promoting fat metabolism rapidly, lowering fat content in cells, and reducing blood fat and cholesterol content. Lida Slimming Capsule has been proved to be the most healthy, fast, safe and effictive weight-loss product.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 12:56 #335996

• Phillip1
  • New lsb member
I got my luisa plum trees from palmers in Frankton, Hamilton.

Theyre really good with any fruit tree enquiries, they order them in for me.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 17:21 #336018

• PeterNZ
  • valued contributor
Just planted 5 of them last Saturday. We got them from New Plymouth - Edible Garden Ltd. Nice strong bare root plants delivered by our postie. $22.40 per tree.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal at a Time! (anonymous)

May your garden fill your belly!
Andy Hamilton

www.selfsufficientish.com

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 18:35 #336030

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 1
tigger;184623 wrote: .......Now if only I can find a place to buy a Pacific Rose apple...but they are still under 'commercial growers only' status or whatever they call it...
Do your homework on Pacific Rose before committing to a tree. As part of a uni' assignment on biennial bearing PR was used as an example of the worst of this condition. A comment along the lines of "If the fruit wasn't so highly prized (and priced) for the Asian export market few growers would bother with this variety", comes to mind.

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 20:22 #336041

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Organix;323449 wrote: Do your homework on Pacific Rose before committing to a tree. As part of a uni' assignment on biennial bearing PR was used as an example of the worst of this condition. A comment along the lines of "If the fruit wasn't so highly prized (and priced) for the Asian export market few growers would bother with this variety", comes to mind.

What were the cons of this variety? I sure love the fruit! :rolleyes:

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 20:48 #336045

I am planning on buying a Luisa Plum this Friday, I was going to give the Airport Garden centre a try first as its handy. Does anyone know when do they fruit? We have some wilsons early plums which fruit just before Christmas & was wanting a different variety to have a a different time of year, as one of my boys adores Plums :)

Late last year we brought some fruit trees from JJs and they are beautiful and healthy, especially the plums we got!

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 07 Jul 2010 22:11 #336051

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 1
tigger;323464 wrote: What were the cons of this variety? I sure love the fruit! :rolleyes:
Biggest difficulty is a strong tendancy toward biennial bearing. I also recollect producing blemish free (export quality) fruit can prove challenging.

In a home orchard situation the biennial bearing could be mitigated by manual thinning and appearance is often secondary to eating quality so both issues may be of lesser importance than in a commercial operation.

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 03 Feb 2011 14:33 #365219

• reggit
  • valued contributor
Well, the rosellas got all our black doris and billington plums and all the nectarines (we had to go away at the wrong time) but some carefully placed frost cloth over the smallest Luisa plum tree has meant that we are now eating these lovely plums!

Gotta say they are the nicest plum variety I have tasted - which is why I wanted to source the trees - and certainly no problems from the trees, apart from the dratted rosellas - major netting efforts next year [}:)]

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 03 Feb 2011 20:07 #365264

• lya
  • lsb member
Have you tried growing some from the pips/stones? That's how I got mine. Its been fruiting really well.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 03 Feb 2011 21:02 #365279

• Stikkibeek
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 74
Plum trees are one of the easier fruit trees to propagate by cuttings, so come April/May, it's a good time to prune and start off some new trees.
Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 17 Jun 2012 20:50 #428687

• witheze
  • valued contributor
I just googled pollinator for louisa plum and came across this lovely site.. :D . because my four yr old Louisa has not had a decent crop in its life.....so think I'll buy a Sultan or some such......will go back to googling.. but how are your Louisas fruiting?

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 17 Jun 2012 21:56 #428690

• muri
  • NOW ONLINE
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 53
I was told the Louisa didnt need a pollinator.
I had some off my tree this year and it was its first year.
Plums were really poor all around this year in terms of poor pollination anyway

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 18 Jun 2012 18:58 #428748

• Stikkibeek
  • valued contributor
muri;426811 wrote: I was told the Louisa didnt need a pollinator.
I had some off my tree this year and it was its first year.
Plums were really poor all around this year in terms of poor pollination anyway

Bees. You need bees. My neighbour had a hive until some wretched urbanite potted him to the stupid city council. My fruit trees were loaded this year. Under the old council, keeping bees in suburbia was aok, but stupid city doesn't want bees it seems.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 18 Jun 2012 20:58 #428764

• muri
  • NOW ONLINE
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 53
Stikkibeak, I have about 10 hives, so bees alone are not the answer.
But high winds at the time of blossom can have a big impact and this year i had very few plums on any of my trees and we had a very poor fruit crop all around, not to mention a poor honey crop as well

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 18 Jun 2012 22:41 #428774

• Stikkibeek
  • valued contributor
muri;426897 wrote: Stikkibeak, I have about 10 hives, so bees alone are not the answer.
But high winds at the time of blossom can have a big impact and this year i had very few plums on any of my trees and we had a very poor fruit crop all around, not to mention a poor honey crop as well
Ah yes. Usually the equinoctial winds are to blame. Plums invariably fruit from mid September and those pesky winds can do major damage. Some years it's still cold enough to keep the bees hunkered down as well.

Luisa plums - Waikato source of trees YUM! FIRST CROP! 06 Nov 2014 13:03 #497500

• Belle Bosse
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 5
Wairere Nursery at Gordonton, Hamilton has Luisa plum trees if you are still wanting them.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
Go to top