Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Raw milk news...

Raw milk news... 28 Mar 2011 10:35 #26774

• Kate
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Web Goddess
  • Thank you received: 46
More consumers could soon switch supermarket aisles for country roads to buy unpasteurised milk straight from the farmer's gate.

As Fonterra freezes the rocketing price of supermarket milk, MAF officials are reviewing the rules around farm-gate milk sales, which may make it easier to sell milk directly from the vat.

For the past four years Hamilton woman Noelene Mutch has been buying unpasteurised milk for her family of five from Waitetuna organic farmer Mike Moss. She pays $2 a litre and she believes the unpasteurised milk has more health benefits.

The organic pasteurised product is selling on the supermarket shelf for between $3.50 and $3.60 a litre.

MAF's review will look at the human disease evidence associated with raw milk and raw milk cheeses and whether rules around supply from the farm gate should be relaxed.

The Food Act allows producers with an approved risk management plan to sell up to five litres of unpasteurised milk a time to people who intend to consume it themselves.

Mr Moss, who farms 130 cows on 65 hectares, supplying Fonterra's organic operation, said he would welcome any changes which made it easier for farmers to sell milk from the gate.

"It is an option which has been overlooked in the whole discussion around the price of milk in supermarkets.

People could ask their local farmer if they would consider supplying it."

Mr Moss said he would like to be able to supply the Hamilton Farmers Market but he had not found a way to work with the regulations to do that.

"The people who are seeking it out are passionate about food, they're wanting access to the raw product."

Jonathan Walker has been buying from Mr Moss for three years.

"I buy it because I'm not convinced it's healthy to drink homogenised milk. I love the fact it tastes like milk."

Waikato Federated Farmers president Stew Wadey said there may be scope for farmers to sell from the gate but he said it was unlikely many would. "Farmers take milk home from the vat. They have always done that and there are rules which allow it now."

Federated Farmers this week blamed supermarkets for the price of milk. In Australia, price wars had forced the price down to AU$1 per litre and the lobby group said the same would happen here if there were more players in the supermarket trade.

story here
Web Goddess
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Raw milk news... 28 Mar 2011 17:05 #371262

• Andrea1
  • valued contributor
Thanks for keeping us updated, Kate! :)

Raw milk news... 04 Apr 2011 22:16 #372054

• RaeM1
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 7
The Noelene mentioned in the above story is my youngest daughter, we used to milk cows here, and rear calves, but it was not until we had sent our old girls on their last trips that she decided that raw milk was the way to go, and as they live in town,she has to buy the milk.

Raw milk news... 05 Apr 2011 16:36 #372121

• Blueberry
  • valued contributor
Well, that's certainly excellent news. It's all about choice.
[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Raw milk news... 05 Apr 2011 20:46 #372159

• shad297
  • valued contributor
Mike Chapman on Fitzherbert East Rd, Ashhurst sells his from a fridge at his milking shed Wind River Organics from 6am to 6pm 7 days a week, $3 per two litres, money goes into an honesty box in the wall (certified organic). I don't know how anyone is supposed to police the max 5 litres per person or family a day as they come in 2 litre bottles and sometimes I get 6 or 8 litres. Also Jenny and Daniel further down the road sell same, Gorge Fresh Organics.
We've been using raw milk as a family for 9 months now and I wouldn't go back to supermarket milk unless forced to, gosh and it's cheaper too!!
Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Raw milk news... 06 Apr 2011 13:45 #372222

We are raw milk drinkers in Sydney. They get around selling it in health shops and farmers markets by promoting it for cosmetic use ie Cleopatras Bath Milk...I am guessing that because we have the same food reg authority the same could be done in NZ?

Raw milk news... 10 Apr 2011 07:26 #372616

• morioka
  • advanced lsb member
Found this Link in my 'travels" Useful for those looking for raw milk (cow and goat) in their area

http://cottagecrafts.co.nz/dnn/MilkMap/tabid/66/Default.aspx

Raw milk news... 07 Aug 2011 14:37 #385550

• primrose
  • New lsb member
shad297;364320 wrote: Mike Chapman on Fitzherbert East Rd, Ashhurst sells his from a fridge at his milking shed Wind River Organics from 6am to 6pm 7 days a week, $3 per two litres, money goes into an honesty box in the wall (certified organic). I don't know how anyone is supposed to police the max 5 litres per person or family a day as they come in 2 litre bottles and sometimes I get 6 or 8 litres. Also Jenny and Daniel further down the road sell same, Gorge Fresh Organics.
We've been using raw milk as a family for 9 months now and I wouldn't go back to supermarket milk unless forced to, gosh and it's cheaper too!!

Hi, Could u tell me or there is a raw milk farmer closer 2 feilding please?
I have tryed ur milk and its lovely. My Sister live`s in ashhrst, but woold be eysey for me when i can get it myself closer 2 Feildeing. Also could u tell me what is realy in it that is better for our healt please? And what about the lovely cream that is on top. Is that not bad every day. Could u tell me how 2 drain that of so we can make wipcream from it.
Thank u
Primrose

Raw milk news... 07 Aug 2011 15:35 #385554

• primrose
  • New lsb member
HI,
Could someone tell me or there is a farmer that sells raw milk close 2 Feilding Please. I know there is one close 2 Ashhurst,but still 2 far from here. I love raw milk, end my Sister gets it for me. Would be nice i could buy it my self. Also i like 2 know what is in the milk that is better for us. There is a lot of cream at the top, and do we not get 2 much fat with drinking it every day. I also like 2 know or there is someone that knows how 2 drain the cream of from the top, so i can make wipcream from it. Dit u know that they ad sugar in supermarket milk? How odd is that? My sugar levels are 2 high because of that. Told the doctor, and he dit not even know that the ad sugar 2 the milk.

Thank u
Primrose

Raw milk news... 08 Aug 2011 11:25 #385618

• shad297
  • valued contributor
Primrose - sorry don't know of anyone nearer to Feilding but someone here may know. If you go over to Ashhurst you can stock up and buy a few litres at a time and freeze. Gorge Fresh Organics on same road as Mike Chapman of Wind River Organics Fitzherbert East Road have a raw milk club and you can get from their fridge also with honesty box. Their email is 'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.' ph:027 5729645. They are sometimes at Feilding Farmers Market on a Friday or talk to Barbara at the Moreish stand as they are the P. North pickup point for people belonging to raw milk club.
The idea about raw milk is that because it hasn't been heat treated you don't lose the beneficial enzymes and some vitamins. Also easier to digest. Whole milk is about 96% fat free anyway, I don't know why people get so paranoid about it. Trim milk in my opinion is like water!
I think if you just keep the milk upright in it's bottle the cream will settle at the top and you can pour it off carefully. There won't be much in a two litre bottle though.
Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Raw milk news... 08 Aug 2011 16:45 #385658

• primrose
  • New lsb member
Hi,
Thank u for ur fast reply. Realy appreciate it. U are very helpful 2 me. Im from Holland,end mis the buttermilk. Thats realy lovely at a summers day. I can buy it here but is not the same u can`t drink it like milk and is 2 thick. The buttermilk from Holland is a bit sour but is also good for our heath. It taste a bit like organic yoghert. thats lovely 2 i wish that the could make this in NZ. Would be fantastic. Also we had france fromage in Holland taste also like yoghert in liter plastic jars with diffrent fruit in it. U can make lovely tarts from it and don`t have 2 bake them in the oven. It sets in the fridge with edding cream,and u can put kiwis on top. Do u also sell organic yoghert at the cate? I buy it now at the supermarkert for $6.00 a liter. Expensive but i like it.
Thank u
Primrose.

Raw milk news... 12 Aug 2011 10:36 #386291

• Blueberry
  • valued contributor
Hi Primrose
there's a Swiss butcher in Feilding, 113 Manchester Street, he's got contact to a milk club. Edelweiss butchery.
Good Luck
[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Raw milk news... 12 Aug 2011 11:39 #386304

• shad297
  • valued contributor
Oh yes I forgot that one Blueberry. Milk comes from Gorge Fresh Organics same people I collect my milk from at Moreish in Palmy. Through the club though you pay $4 per 2 litres as an automatic payment through bank. Picking up yourself from the fridge is $3.

Raw milk news... 15 Aug 2011 18:58 #386916

• kindajojo
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi primrose there is a raw milk supplier on Aranui Road which is very close $3.00 /2litres some of the bottles are 75% creamy lovely milk too

Raw milk news... 18 Aug 2011 14:55 #387356

• Back40
  • New lsb member
Anyone know where to buy near Waipara? I also get down to Christchurch often enough too.

Raw milk news... 19 Aug 2011 11:51 #387499

• Organix
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 2
Interesting link regarding the current situation regarding raw milk and food 'safety' (sic) in the US.

And yes, FRESH is one of the DVDs we have available and it is brilliantly positive and inspiring :D

Posted from here using my laptop :cool:

Raw milk news... 28 Aug 2011 15:48 #388855

• dazhan
  • lsb member
Does anyone in the Bridge Pa area of Hastings sell raw milk at the garden gate?

Cheers

Raw milk news... 12 Sep 2011 10:29 #391357

• shad297
  • valued contributor
Another place in Manawatu that sells raw milk at farmgate is at 141 Aranui Road just outside Palmerston North. Organic Jersey milk $3 per two litres.
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Raw milk news... 14 Sep 2011 13:22 #391778

• Organix
  • valued contributor
"MAF has been swamped with over 1,000 submissions to the review of Raw Milk Regulations....." Opening news article of this RNZ Rural Report

Raw milk news... 14 Sep 2011 14:28 #391787

Sounds like something worth staying informed about. Cheers for that Organix.
Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

Raw milk news... 15 Sep 2011 13:07 #391933

• igor
  • valued contributor
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5602630/Toddler-suckles-from-cow

I think the real danger here is that the cow might kick.

Raw milk news... 01 Oct 2011 18:49 #394301

• Andrea1
  • valued contributor
Not here in New Zealand, but what others elsewhere are facing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aJccUz9NU

Raw milk news... 12 Mar 2012 10:37 #417216

Back40;381190 wrote: Anyone know where to buy near Waipara? I also get down to Christchurch often enough too.
Hi, I know there are some people in Sefton who sell raw milk (advertised as Pet Milk on TradeMe). They have cow and goat milk as far as I am aware. Hope this helps.

Raw milk news... 12 Mar 2012 10:39 #417217

Looking for a supplier in the Blenheim/Marlborough area. Does anyone know of a farmer who sells at the "gate"?

Cheers :)

Raw milk news... 20 Mar 2012 23:06 #418250

• mch
  • New lsb member
Raw milk supply in Auckland area anyone?

Raw milk news... 04 Apr 2012 16:21 #420139

Where are you mch?

Raw milk news... 14 Apr 2012 19:31 #421295

• jimminette
  • advanced lsb member
When our son was 2 we went to Aussie and stayed with friends who milked their own house cow. Son was still on bottles and solids. Fed him milk direct from the cow and he went off solids it was so filling.

Raw milk news... 15 Apr 2012 23:07 #421456

Anybody know where I could get raw milk in Motueka/Nelson area? Been to the Woman's Expo in Nelson on Saturday and have signed up for a Morzarella making workshop, so very exciting! I have been hoping to find someone that can teach me hands on things like that.

Raw milk news... 17 Apr 2012 01:16 #421590

• Clomidg
  • New lsb member
how do you do?

Raw milk news... 28 Apr 2012 09:24 #422964

Hi

Wangapeka Dairy have an outlet in Appleby at The Abbey. They have an organic farm up the Wangapeka and bring milk, cheese and other products into the shop. I believe the milk is now $2.50 per litre.

Raw milk news... 11 May 2012 14:31 #424751

• Organix
  • valued contributor
Interesting article on Raw Milk on The Healthy Home Economist website including this video of a raw milk vending machine :D

Raw milk news... 26 May 2012 00:56 #426355

nothing else needs

Raw milk news... 05 Aug 2012 17:45 #433636

Hi, does anybody know where we can get raw A2 milk in New Plymouth?
We can get it in Eltham but its a 40min drive. Any info appreciated. cheers

Raw milk news... 07 Aug 2012 13:21 #433845

A friend of mine complained about some milk that seemed gritty and was told most milk in the supermarkets is reconstituted from dried milk powder, and the only milk that's not is Meadow Fresh, just don't know if he was being spun a yarn.
Just the two of us, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Raw milk news... 28 Aug 2012 22:14 #436029

• oxford
  • New lsb member
Hi, my wife wants to have ago a making her own cheese. Is it possible to buy milk from the farm gate, and does anyone know if its possible to buy any direct from the farm in the Oxford area? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Adrian

Raw milk news... 29 Aug 2012 07:38 #436044

• muri
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 80
my cat wont drink most milk from the supermarket, definitely anchor is the least favoured, but organic is fine as is home brand, not that i have tried every brand but interesting as the cat doesnt read the labels before the milk is poured

Raw milk news... 29 Aug 2012 10:24 #436065

• llvonn
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 1
If I feed my dog milk from the store he vomits, doesn't on raw milk. I found that extremely interesting
1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Raw milk news... 29 Aug 2012 11:54 #436071

llvonn;434929 wrote: If I feed my dog milk from the store he vomits, doesn't on raw milk. I found that extremely interesting

lol - as well as interesting, so much easier to deal with...

I get raw milk from down the road, and make kefir for the dogs - they love it (I'm not so keen) and it settles any 'tummy issues' that they may have....

Raw milk news... 29 Aug 2012 12:15 #436072

• Organix
  • valued contributor
Okay, our cat Nikau will happily drink (Bluetop) milk from the supermarket but won't drink the raw milk that OH gets for her use (keffir, yoghurt, etc.) We give Nikau either milk with 50% water added (trim milk [;)]) but the raw milk usually ends up being ditched untouched.

Raw milk news... 05 Sep 2012 15:11 #436971

Anyone klnow of any farmers near hamilton that sell Raw Milk? Countdown have A2 but I'd rather Raw Milk :)

Raw milk news... 11 Sep 2012 09:20 #437639

• Organix
  • valued contributor
Another potential source of info on raw milk supplies - Ooooby Raw Organic Milk group, and plenty of similarly minded people to lure onto LSB [;)]

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Go to top